• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help needed from the wood workers on here

Just1more

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Retired
217   0
Reaction score
what is the trick to drilling a 3/4” home in a pine slab that’s 2-1/2” thick for a 3/4” solid bar 8” deep. I’m trying to install a set of floating shelves. The brackets are 3/4” x 8” and I’m using a 3/4” wood bit. I’ve tried to wallow out the home and even used a round file but it will not go all the way in.

Lol the bracket are mounted on the wall. The shelf is 2-1/2” thick x 12” deep x 48” long it’s got to slide onto two brackets without a sledge hammer. lol

ok now I understand the issue.

Your holes are not perfectly straight and neither are your rods. As the shelf goes on it binds. Get a 13/16 bit and make the hole a little big. If this fails go up to 7/8. Now that the hole is bigger you will want to use some epoxy or liquid nail. Not to much though. You don’t want a mess and you don’t want to create a seal that keeps air in the hole, cause then the shelf still wont go on.

Right now the shelf is just sitting on my work bench. I’m just trying to get an extra bracket to slide in haven’t even tried the two on the wall yet. I’ll look for a bigger bit.

Back
Top Bottom