• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help Needed on Trail Camera Selection!

Thanks all this is good stuff. Now switching gears a little bit... If wanted to cover 200 acres how many cameras do you think I should set out to get decent coverage?
I would say 8 depending on how many food plots or hot spots you're wanting to watch. We have 8 on 400 acres that we move all of ours around from week to week. That allows for less cameras but also less consistant coverage.

I would say 8 depending on how many food plots or hot spots you're wanting to watch. We have 8 on 400 acres that we move all of ours around from week to week. That allows for less cameras but also less coverage.
I'm going to try and work up to 8 then. Whew this may be expensive!

I'm going to try and work up to 8 then. Whew this may be expensive!
You can always go with less, that's just the number that works for us to move around. On your tract I think that would would be plenty if not a couple extra. Are you planning on moving them or leaving them stationary?

Moultrie camera both day and night
14A88A18-0EF1-4306-A406-1488D52B12CF.jpeg 37687C34-5043-4498-97DA-847B49A6F64A.jpeg

You can always go with less, that's just the number that works for us to move around. On your tract I think that would would be plenty if not a couple extra. Are you planning on moving them or leaving them stationary?
I'm likely to leave them in one place. I have 5 food plots and I plan to set some up on some well used trails.

Thanks all this is good stuff. Now switching gears a little bit... If wanted to cover 200 acres how many cameras do you think I should set out to get decent coverage?
Too many variables to say. If you have well defined trails or topographical issues that funnel most of the deer you may be able to do it with less than a handful. Same thing if it's 150 acres of pasture or 3 year old clear cut. On the other hand, you may not be able to do with 50 cameras if it's all equally and disparately used. I promise you this, no matter how many you think will work, you'll always want more. For example, I've had 3 out on 8 acres and had at least two more places I didn't feel were getting covered. Soooo... I'd say about a camera per acre ought to do it. :laugh:

Too many variables to say. If you have well defined trails or topographical issues that funnel most of the deer you may be able to do it with less than a handful. Same thing if it's 150 acres of pasture or 3 year old clear cut. On the other hand, you may not be able to do with 50 cameras if it's all equally and disparately used. I promise you this, no matter how many you think will work, you'll always want more. For example, I've had 3 out on 8 acres and had at least two more places I didn't feel were getting covered. Soooo... I'd say about a camera per acre ought to do it. :laugh:
I'm afraid you're right lol but I think I'll start with how ever many Santa brings me! I've been pretty good this year (I think!)

Back
Top Bottom