• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help Needed on Trail Camera Selection!

If the area is large, when it's night you will need the LEDs to produce as much light as possible. Most camera companies make less visible "black" IR LED models that are designed to be low signature. Because of this, they do not produce as much light at night. I usually leave those to small areas or to watch my tree stand if I've got a thief around. Otherwise, I prefer the standard IR models.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Ok thanks. That makes sense.

Been running cameras for a long time and this is the order of things i consider when i look for new ones

1. Battery life <--- this to me is the most important factor. i don't want to have to spend $100 a year on batteries
2. Trigger speed <----time it takes motion to activate
3. picture quality <------picture quality is not at the top of my list because if the batteries are dead or it doesnt trigger fast enough, you wont get a picture anyway
4. any other feature you would like it to have.

Been running cameras for a long time and this is the order of things i consider when i look for new ones

1. Battery life <--- this to me is the most important factor. i don't want to have to spend $100 a year on batteries
2. Trigger speed <----time it takes motion to activate
3. picture quality <------picture quality is not at the top of my list because if the batteries are dead or it doesnt trigger fast enough, you wont get a picture anyway
4. any other feature you would like it to have.

Thanks. I think my considerations are the same. My Moultrie cameras are so old they required 6 D-Cell batteries and only lasted a few months. It's nice to know most of the cameras now will take AA's. Picture quality isn't quite as important as actually getting the picture but I will say that there is a night and day difference between the picture quality on my old Moultries and the ones you guys are using now.

I've gotten great pics with Wildgame Innovations, but they seem to be pretty sub par on durability. Most of mine lasted one season or less before they quit working completely. Only other brand I've used is Moultrie and they worked decently well and were still working after 2 yrs in the woods. As someone else said, avoid all of the "black out" or "stealth" IR models. The night range is severely reduced and they tend to cause the night pics to be fuzzy.

Back
Top Bottom