• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help Needed on Trail Camera Selection!

I've gotten great pics with Wildgame Innovations, but they seem to be pretty sub par on durability. Most of mine lasted one season or less before they quit working completely. Only other brand I've used is Moultrie and they worked decently well and were still working after 2 yrs in the woods. As someone else said, avoid all of the "black out" or "stealth" IR models. The night range is severely reduced and they tend to cause the night pics to be fuzzy.
Thanks. I've had similar experiences with the Wildgame and Moultrie cameras.

I have 6 cameras and they are so old and weathered none of them work so I would love to have Santa bring me some. I haven't bought any in years and years. All I want are decent pictures and I would prefer to have Santa bring me several so I'm trying to balance quantity with quality. Someone recommended to me the Cabela's brand because of the lifetime warranty. That being said I would like to know what brand (not necessarily Cabela's) and specs you would recommend. Please let me know what y'all think. Thanks VV[/QUOT

Honestly I have for years used the WGI cameras. And for years I was told I needed better cameras. I don’t know what was meant by “better” but a couple years ago I decided to buy a couple new cams. And at the advice of some of my friends I bought “better” cameras. Now by better the only thing I can figure is more expensive, not sold at Walmart, and has a more recognized name. I looked at what seemed like hundreds of cameras. And against my better judgment I sent around 150$/each on 3 different cams. 1 cuttyback, 1 moultry, 1 Browning. Just to try to see what was “better” each one had had some features the others didn’t. Features that everyone of my 60-70$ wgi camras has all of. The Browning has had nothing but problems. Turning itself off, half my pictures being white fields with pink green and red lines, and because there is a plastic lense cover on the door of the camera that I guess makes it weather proof (instead of the camera itself being weather proof) the lense cover would collect condensation and make pics impossible to see. The other two either didn’t produce as clear pictures due to lower MP and/or trigger spreads were slower so got a lot of deer rump pics. Anyway all that to say I haven’t been pleased with any of the other cams I’ve purchased. I could have gotten the cams with all the same features as my WGI cams but that would have raised my price point on some up to 200$ per. Also as far as set up and all the WGI cams are very simple to set the settings and easy to change cards, time, settings or whatever. And also they have a flex time setting that’s pretty cool. On the cuttyback and moltury I felt like I needed a 40hr class to be able to get them set up. Never used the cabelas brand. But I will only buy the WGI cams from now on. I have a few that I leave out year round and they have been out now for 3 years and not had a problem yet. Sorry for the long post but it would be hard to explain my position on cam choice without it.

Also for anyone who likes the other brands I mentioned I mean no offense. It is simply my experience and opinion. And being I’m on a budget when it comes to my hunting have to make every penny count.

Back
Top Bottom