• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help picking a 1911

Save yourself some money on all the over-priced named brands that are only selling them for that much because they can. Just go out and get yourself a Rock Island then, Shoot the heck out of it. They are solid 1911's and more true to the real 1911 that it was intended to be. Series 70 slide and internal extractor as an example. SIG = External Extractor, Over-Priced, Colt = Not what they used to be, S&W = External Extractor and over-priced for what they offer, Springfield = Mostly made in Brazil and Series 80 Slides.
RIA's are honestly Rock Solid 1911's and they don't break the bank to own one.

Just like AR15's most slides are made somewhere else as Pre-Production without roll marks then shipped to the eventual retailer. Simply marked as theirs, lol

ok here goes. I want a 1911. Budget of $700-800. Full size. Suggestions please. I know nothing about them. Have looked at Ruger. S&W. Colt. And Springfield.

Ok so here goes my thoughts on this subject.
You asked a question to a bunch of guys that are waving their hands around and saying look at what I said and take my advice and what I am about to say is just about the same (BTW you have seen a lot of good advice in this thread).
Best thing to do is rent one and see what you like, that will save you money in the long run.
Most people either like or hate a 1911 style pistol because of fit, finish, feel, or even felt recoil.
Buy what you think looks good to you as it does not matter what any of us think, it is only what you like to look at and put in your hand and pull the Trigger on that will make you either stay with or not keep in the 1911 game.
I own a few of everything and do carry a 1911 full size pistol (Ruger SR1911) I also have a sig Nightmare and a few high end smith 1911's and a few others that have been mentioned in this thread and a few that are not mentioned in this thread as well.
As suggested the RIA pistols are a good entry level 1911 and so are the springfields and colts and Smith&Wesson's, and all are just another in a long line of 1911's that vary in price that will fit in your hand and shoot the same.
Internal or external Extractor is just preference and both work as designed (1911 Purest like Internal extractor and Series 70 style frame and slide) .
Series 70 or 80 is a preference and does not affect the shooting of the pistol nor do some who own the 1911 style pistols even know the difference.
Things to remember are the better the tolerances the better it will be on accuracy, but they are more prone to stoppages when dirty, not 100% accurate of a statement but close.
The more hand fitting of parts the more expensive it is.
Price does not determine if it will be a good pistol or not Period (this is true on any firearm made).
Best advice is again shoot what is appealing to you and you will enjoy the experience more.
Just my .02 and YMMV and only take advice of mine if you can take a joke.

Rent everything you can find at local ranges. See what features you want/need. Then find one that comes from the manufacturer equipped that way. Cheaper than buying a bare bones .45 and updating it.
Or, you may find they're just not your cup of tea.

Taurus.

And I said that with a straight face.

Front strap checkering standard? Yep. Good factory trigger. Mine has never choked. Like, ever.

Spend the balance on ammo to train with.

Problem with 1911's is that they tend to multiply in the safe.

After posting this I found out I had to go to Athens to eat for kids birthday so went early and went by Clydes. Looked at a Colt government series 70 and a Springfield A1 loaded. I was ready to buy but the guy said no. He said go rent these at the range and then decide. Guess thats what I’ll do. Thanks for all the advice.

After posting this I found out I had to go to Athens to eat for kids birthday so went early and went by Clydes. Looked at a Colt government series 70 and a Springfield A1 loaded. I was ready to buy but the guy said no. He said go rent these at the range and then decide. Guess thats what I’ll do. Thanks for all the advice.
Just for your info the Ruger SR1911 is based on the series 70.

If you were local, I would say stop by the range and I'd let you try a couple. I was shooting the suppressed ones one day and the 9mm ones another day.

Taurus.

And I said that with a straight face.

Front strap checkering standard? Yep. Good factory trigger. Mine has never choked. Like, ever.

Spend the balance on ammo to train with.

Problem with 1911's is that they tend to multiply in the safe.

You see the problem with that is that individual taste thing again. I have no problem at all with a Taurus but I will not own an 1911 with a checkered, serrated or grooved front strap. Serrated trigger either. I just don't like them. Of course on the trigger it often means finding something I like then replacing the trigger with a smooth one or taking the old one to the mill and removing the serrations. I know many people look for those things but I look to make sure they don't have them.

Back
Top Bottom