• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help sighting in rifle

MedMan

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
4   0
Reaction score
First off thanks for stopping to read this.

I bought my first rifle about a month ago. Unfortunately, due to medical school finals I have not been able to shoot yet. I have rudimentary knowledge of how to shoot, but I would probably stick out on the range. I know I have a lot to learn so I am hoping someone could help me get started. I would like to learn how to shoot and sight in my rifle/scope. If anyone is willing to teach me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Willing to travel within reason from buford (30519)

Attachments

• 14D8D8A3-6B4B-470C-B4EC-9C5DC2984A35.jpeg
    14D8D8A3-6B4B-470C-B4EC-9C5DC2984A35.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 106
I humbly suggest signing up for an Appleseed event. You will get two days' worth of training worth far more than what you pay. There are several more scheduled in Georgia this year, including Martin and Canton.

Your rifle is welcome, as is all centerfire rifles under 8mm.

However, for a lower cost you could purchase some 22LR ammo and ask for a loaner rifle, which most Shoot Bosses (the person who runs the event) will have. Should you choose to shoot your rifle you'll want a USGI sling; but if you don't have one there will likely be loaners of those, as well.

Click here to find one near you. Click on the state that interests you.
https://appleseedinfo.org/schedulemap/

PM me if you'd like more information. Hope to see you there!

This indoor range has distances available out to 35 yards. That's a good distance sight- in any scoped AR type rifle for general purpose work and target shooting at unknown distances out to 300 yards.

https://triggertime.org/

Trigger Time, in Flowery Branch, right next to Buford.

wo

I'd recommend getting an AR- pattern .22 rifle for training,
and take that to some of the monthly 100-yard matches / training clinics
run by Ben Franklin at the Riverbend Gun Club in Dawsonville, probably an hour from you in Buford.

You have to use iron sights at this clinic, but it is very useful information that you'll learn as well suited for AR rifles -- both centerfire and rimfire.
We talk and have a "lesson" for 15 minutes and then shoot for 30 minutes check the targets and the scores,
put up new targets, and then do the same thing all over with a new set of instructions tailored toward the next string (position, nuumber sndvtiming of shots.) .
This clinic teaches you about firing from the unsupported standing position,
the sitting position (with the aid of a rifle sling if you have one),

and
the prone position ( also intended for use with a shooting sling.)

Cost is $20 for non-members of the Club.
Takes most of a Saturday: 8:30 am to 3 pm.

** Edited to add this: If you want me to go with you,
I'll lend you either an open-sighted, detachable-mag fed
.22 LR rifle with a front-end only sling,
or an AR full-length fixed-buttstock 20" barreled rifle
to use, if your own AR is fitted with a scope by then,
all sighted-in, and you don't want to take the optic off for the clinic /match.

I second the Appleseed event. It's a no brainer. You will come out the other side with the knowledge you seek. It's cheap. The instructors are volunteers that are good at, and like, teaching what you are asking. You will learn the fundamentals of taking a shot, how to zero your rifle without needlessly wasting ammunition and how to self diagnose mistakes you are making by reading your targets. Just go to an event and learn the basics the right way so when you practice on your own you are practicing correctly.

Anybody can practice how to do something incorrectly over and over until it becomes habit. By being new to firearms you have the opportunity to learn correctly from the beginning which is a huge advantage. Most marksmanship training time is spent breaking incorrect habits that have been repeated until they are muscle memory. Take the opportunity to learn correct fundamentals so you don't have to beat your head on that brick wall later.

Your finals are over. Take a weekend. It will be fun as well.

Back
Top Bottom