• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help w info on Dekalb warrant application hearing. Firearm related

tlw1179

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
168   0
Reaction score
anyone ever had to go to magistrate court in Dekalb where someone tried to take a warrant out on you?
Going through this and am not familiar with Dekalb at all.
Called and really didn’t get anywhere

I got a letter from Dekalb magistrate to be in court in late November for pointing a pistol & simple battery.....
It’s a long story and no I didn’t really do that

As an attorney, I've been in court waiting for my case to be heard when other citizens went before the judge for a arrest warrant hearing. These were usually crappy cases with no evidence other than "he said- she said." If there had been good evidence of the crine, the police themselves would've made an arrest and obtained a warrant immediately afterword.

Most of the time the warrant was denied. That being said, keep in mind that in court the testimony of one single eyewitness is legally sufficient to establish a fact.
That is still true even when other eyewitnesses say it did not happen that way !

If I were you, I would meet with a lawyer at least two weeks in advance and plan on having that lawyer come to court to represent you at the pre-warrant hearing.
A lawyer will be especially useful and cross examining the petitioner who is seeking the warrant against you.

Since there are allegations of you brandishing a firearm against somebody in a threatening way, you are more likely to be arrested on a marginal case with little evidence. Judges don't want to take the chance that if they deny an arrest warrant on you, you'll soon do something bad and it will embarass the judge.

As an attorney, I've been in court waiting for my case to be heard when other citizens went before the judge for a arrest warrant hearing. These were usually crappy cases with no evidence other than "he said- she said." If there had been good evidence of the crine, the police themselves would've made an arrest and obtained a warrant immediately afterword.

Most of the time the warrant was denied. That being said, keep in mind that in court the testimony of one single eyewitness is legally sufficient to establish a fact.
That is still true even when other eyewitnesses say it did not happen that way !

If I were you, I would meet with a lawyer at least two weeks in advance and plan on having that lawyer come to court to represent you at the pre-warrant hearing.
A lawyer will be especially useful and cross examining the petitioner who is seeking the warrant against you.

Since there are allegations of you brandishing a firearm against somebody in a threatening way, you are more likely to be arrested on a marginal case with little evidence. Judges don't want to take the chance that if they deny an arrest warrant on you, you'll soon do something bad and it will embarass the judge.

I have a solid case and a dozen witnesses.

Long story short..
A truck driver got into a fist fight on the job with another foreman, upon getting his ass kicked the driver picked up a long handled shovel and proceeded to hit 4 people with it. The first initial swing of the shovel I yelled stop and proceeded to go that way with gun at my side , driver jumps in truck and leaves now I’m getting mail where he wants to press charges against me.
Charges were pressed on him and he was arrested for felony aggravated assault & felony terroristic threats

His trying for a warrant on me just seems like retaliation

Back
Top Bottom