• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help with ‘04 5.4l 3v Ford Triton misfire

Thank you all first of all.
I got my info from a code reader. So I’m going to take all of your suggestions basically. Like a friend said as well “maybe it’s whichever cylinder fires 6th, not necessarily the one labeled 6”
Then like Boot says just start pulling them all.

Outlier- Except for the injector I installed yesterday all were Motorcraft parts. And I just have the code reader not a true diagnostic computer, haven’t needed one till now😁 also swapping across might accomplish figuring the firing order thing too.

Tikker- you don’t know how many out of YT I’ve already watched , guy on there walked me through the whole timing job I did. I’m certainly NOT a mechanic, but I can follow directions….sometimes!

Gingerbread Man- you might sound crazy to someone but not me. I know it was a fire truck but we’d be driving down the road and it would suddenly slam down a gear(auto transmission) and back and it was very random. My driver out of the blue said check the antenna wire to the radio, sure enough, the antenna wire was loose. Every time it did it, the antenna wire had vibrates loose again. You talk about people thinking you’re nuts till they see it, people thought I was, just like I thought my driver was. Curious enough, several years later the exact same thing happened in one of our ambulances. So I don’t mind trying the battery, I have one to try.
Thanks again to you all.

Well, swapped coils with no change. Swapped #5 with 7 also with no change. Plugs good best I can tell, don’t know much about carbon tracking but appears clean. I wiped them off good anyway. Appears all the coils I have are still good.

I know the car ninja on YouTube rates the 3 valve 5.4 worst engine ever and he does full engine replacements due to the oil passages.

Personally I have friends with good luck with the 5.4 two valve minus the spark plug issue.

Hopefully some live data will give you more information on what exactly is occurring. Will be cheaper to fix since prices are so crazy on trucks.

Keep us posted hope you get it fixed soon.

Back
Top Bottom