• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help with a DOA Ar15 in 6.5 Grendel

grandall1972

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
249   0
Reaction score
Long story short I traded into this boat anchor and now have to figure out how to get this thing fixed and running properly.

Main issue I believe is from a poor Cerakote job that has left the inside of the upper too thick for the BCG to glide smoothly. Got one round to fire, and then had to spend 30 minutes to extract the bcg and shell. Shouldn’t have tried to fire, once I have to use the forward advance to seat the bcg.

1. How can I test to see if it’s the upper or the bcg?
- Would put the bcg in another upper, but its my only ar15 based rifle.
2. If I’m right and it’s the Cerakote, how do I clean it out to make the bcg travel correctly?
4. What picture or other could I supply to help analyze the problem?

If you turn the rifle on its side and swing the rifle to hammer the charging handle against the edge of the range table those stuck shells will prolly pop right out. Clean it and shoot it more and it might loosen up.

I would check the gas block, too. I had a new barrel acting just like that until I got the gas block lined up and the chamber broken in a bit.

Ive seen a gas tube gall and lock a carrier up . I had to cut the gas tube to get bcg out. Alot of barrels are not dimpled for gas block, if the gas block isnt straight it can cause gas tube to bind in the gas key.

If the carrier moves free when not loaded the issue is usually the chamber

Back
Top Bottom