• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help with a water emergency

ole ed

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
58   0
Reaction score
Hope to find someone who's had this problem and I don't wish it on my worst enemy. Sometime Thursday night something broke in the bathroom wall. Flooded the floor got in touch on Friday morning after cutting off the main house supply. Plumber came out couldn't find anything had to see a late detector and a water remediation company. Everything ended on Friday evening and I've had to live with this mess all weekend. The only place that's comfortable and dry is on my bed. And the kitchen. Anybody have an idea how this stuff works I'm in the dark not physically but literally. I've spoke with my insurance company but it's like I've been abandoned. I am so tired of walking on sloppy carpet and I'm sure in a day or so it's going to stink. If anything's like this has happened to you before please tell me how this works thank you

Sorry to hear about your issues.

I've got USAA and they sent out a remediation company to cut out the affected hardwood flooring and we were responsible for finding the contractor to repair all the damage. I had an ice maker let go overnight and we awoke to a large puddle in the kitchen. Hardwoods don't like water too much. Took months to finally remedy.

I hope you can find some relief soon and I hope your insurance company takes care of you.

I’m sure this no help..but, I’d find me a motel and bill the insurance co. along with all the other issues. You need to really stay hard on the phone calls with a local ins agent if you have one.
So sorry for your predicament. Good luck on the repairs.

Edit: Usually , if you call someone like Service Master they will get on it right away and bill the insurance direct.

Who's your insurance? They at the very least should have a remediation team come out even if you cover repair. Make sure to keep receipts.

Plumber should have found that leak if it's that bad.
I've got Amica. They've always been good in the past but I've never had a problem like this. The situation is the plumber can't fix the problem until they find it and that'll start on Monday and they can't do the remediation and tell the problem is fixed because if they do the remediation now and it floods again when they try to fix it then the insurance won't pay for the second one. So I guess I'm just stuck in purgatory for this weekend hopefully Monday something will come apart. What I'm hoping is the leak detector can find the leak and then the plumber can repair it. So I can have water again for toilet, shower, kitchen and laundry. Everybody seems to be helpful and gives me their sympathies but it still doesn't help sloping through the floor with water on it. I would get a hotel room but I have to have a CPAP and a air machine at night and it would just be more trouble than it's worth to pull all of that out to go to a hotel. I'm okay at night it's not up on the bed it's just having to walk back and forth to the bathroom Yes I'm 60. so I'm just going to hope that all of my bad luck's behind me and Monday everything will start straightening out thank you guys for letting me know what's going on.

So sorry to hear about the water issue. My daughter just went through this same issue. Water pipe in the bathroom broke and water ran for 2 hours. Ended up replacing sheet rock in walls, ceiling, flooring, lighting...a real mess. Over $100K repair. First things first - DEMAND your insurance company get on the ball. There needs to be a demo crew to take out the damaged material. If the plumber can't figure it out then the demo should open things up enough for him to find the problem. There will be the remediation where they demo everything and do a complete dry out with documents and pictures to ensure the house is ready for the repair. In the mean time the insurance company MUST provide you with a place to stay as part of the coverage. You might need to seriously consider doing that as you are in this for the long haul. Remind the insurance agent that your house is a serious health hazard as it is. Then you will need to hire a contractor who can do all the repair work. My daughter had this happen in October and they are just now getting every last detail done. Just be prepared for the time issue and don't let the insurance company off the hook on getting things done right. Good news is my daughters place is good as new....just a lot of hassle.

So sorry to hear about the water issue. My daughter just went through this same issue. Water pipe in the bathroom broke and water ran for 2 hours. Ended up replacing sheet rock in walls, ceiling, flooring, lighting...a real mess. Over $100K repair. First things first - DEMAND your insurance company get on the ball. There needs to be a demo crew to take out the damaged material. If the plumber can't figure it out then the demo should open things up enough for him to find the problem. There will be the remediation where they demo everything and do a complete dry out with documents and pictures to ensure the house is ready for the repair. In the mean time the insurance company MUST provide you with a place to stay as part of the coverage. You might need to seriously consider doing that as you are in this for the long haul. Remind the insurance agent that your house is a serious health hazard as it is. Then you will need to hire a contractor who can do all the repair work. My daughter had this happen in October and they are just now getting every last detail done. Just be prepared for the time issue and don't let the insurance company off the hook on getting things done right. Good news is my daughters place is good as new....just a lot of hassle.

All this and definitely hire your own contractor!!!

Hope to find someone who's had this problem and I don't wish it on my worst enemy. Sometime Thursday night something broke in the bathroom wall. Flooded the floor got in touch on Friday morning after cutting off the main house supply. Plumber came out couldn't find anything had to see a late detector and a water remediation company. Everything ended on Friday evening and I've had to live with this mess all weekend. The only place that's comfortable and dry is on my bed. And the kitchen. Anybody have an idea how this stuff works I'm in the dark not physically but literally. I've spoke with my insurance company but it's like I've been abandoned. I am so tired of walking on sloppy carpet and I'm sure in a day or so it's going to stink. If anything's like this has happened to you before please tell me how this works thank you
Where are you located? I on a remediation company and have a sister company that is a plumbing company. We may be able to help.

He’s too far away, but my son fixes this stuff all the time.

Back
Top Bottom