• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help with Bushnell scope

Bomartin

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
23   0
Reaction score
Have a question.

I purchased the Bushnell rimfire 3-12 scope for 17 hmr.

I zeroed it at 25 yards like the manual says, then installed the 17 hmr turret.

Now when I dial the turret to 50 yards shooting at a 50 yard target, it shoots high. Am I doing something wrong?

some general points-

the turret is only going to be good with a given bullet weight and velocity at a given altitude. Any variables of at least these three factors will cause POI shift.

It's much better and repeatable to use a MOA/MIL turret and shoot at the various ranges and document your DOPE for those conditions.

However, as BIKER said, why would you not zero at 25 with the turret in place?

Possibly, when you installed the turret, you turned the dial a few clicks.

Or another question- how far high is it shooting at 50? If you're talking 1/2", that could just be velocity, but if you're talking a foot, then it's more likely a mechanical issue.

This is why BDC reticles and mass produced turrets are pretty much trash. The turret is made for a specific bullet, leaving the barrel at a specific speed, at a specific altitude and that your scope is a specific height above the bore. Miss on 1 or more of those, and the turret is just a guesstimate.

I did zero at 25 with the regular turret. Then put the 17 hmr turret on in its place.
Wasn’t too far high at 50. Maybe an inch. I might just bite the bullet and use a ballistic calculator. I know Hornady has a decent one online.

I did zero at 25 with the regular turret. Then put the 17 hmr turret on in its place.
Wasn’t too far high at 50. Maybe an inch. I might just bite the bullet and use a ballistic calculator. I know Hornady has a decent one online.
Plenty of free phone apps. I use Strelok Pro, but they have a free one as well that is good to go.

Back
Top Bottom