• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help with sights zero

Please describe the setup.

Irons? Optic? Type of ammo? Intended range? Are you familiar with height over bore?
I have troy industries' iron sights, vortex 3x magnifier w vortex razor red dot. At the range I've been using the sig sauer 125gr and bernaul 147 grain. But I also have some hornady 135gr I have yet to shoot.

I mostly enjoy shooting at the outdoor ranges which is 50-100 yards. But will have more trips to the indoor ranges. So really want to learn how to do it properly and be good where ever I go and with whatever I shoot.

Im not familiar with height over bore.

Thanks, Tony

What kind of accuracy are to trying to achieve? Keeping them all in the A zone of the torso or keeping them in the A zone of the head at 100 yards?

1652141390035.png

I never sighted a rifle before. I was going to go back to the range I picked it up from but wanted recs hopefully a little closer. Thanks.
Man you have open a can of worms here!
My suggestion is do not read all the messages! If you do you will be digging in u ass and smelling you finger!
The first person that offer a few on hand experience that’s what I would do!
Because assholes and armpits all stink and you’re going to get all kinds of stupid advice!
So the first person that’s willing to show you hands-on is my best advice!

I have troy industries' iron sights, vortex 3x magnifier w vortex razor red dot. At the range I've been using the sig sauer 125gr and bernaul 147 grain. But I also have some hornady 135gr I have yet to shoot.

I mostly enjoy shooting at the outdoor ranges which is 50-100 yards. But will have more trips to the indoor ranges. So really want to learn how to do it properly and be good where ever I go and with whatever I shoot.

Im not familiar with height over bore.

Thanks, Tony
I’d start with a zero for your most used ammo and then develop a DOPE card for the other ones.
Are you going to shoot suppressed? If so then make your zero for the subs and compensate for the others. They will have similar POA/POI with the grains you listed, but like I said, the one you’ll shoot the most should be the zero ammo.

For your vortex red dot I believe it is 1/4 click per MOA so 4 clicks per 1/4 inch at a 25 yard indoor range. At 50 yards 4 clicks per 1/2 inch and at 100 yards it will be 4 clicks for 1 inch. Locate the "elevation" or up and down adjustment (usually on top of optic) and move the correct amount of clicks to where your rounds are hitting on, or horizontally level with, the bullseye. Then adjust your "windage" or left and right adjustment (usually on side of optic) and adjust left or right until your rounds are hitting bullseye. There will usually be an arrow for up and an arrow for right. Go other way for down or left.

For iron sights remember rear same front opposite. That means if you need to adjust up then adjust up on your rear sight or down on your front sight. Or both. For left to right adjustment adjust your rear sight left or right following the rear same rule.

If you want to fine tune your knowledge of MOA and "Inches, Minutes and Clicks" I'm sure someone here can help you out. Failing that I would suggest getting a 10/22 with tech sights and/or a scope and attending an Applessed Project weekend marksmanship clinic. You will learn all you never wanted to know and get resources to continue learning. Cheap event around $65ish if memory serves and a weekend of time that will give a whole lot more than that in knowledge.

Before taking my advice please read up on your sights and insure they are indeed 1/4 inch at 100 yards or 1/4 click per moa. Either one of those and the instructions are good unless I got mixed up.

Go to an 25 yard indoor range near you and sight it in 1” low at 25 yards. That’s a good nuff start.
It’s best to go on a weekday, there’s less crossfire during the week.

Georgia firing line has two rifle lanes.

Before you back the target up to 25 yards, sight it to 2” low at 20 feet. That gets it close.

Just load one bullet at a time.

Watch a few YouTube videos.

Back
Top Bottom