• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help with Sprinkler/Irrigation Problem

The leak is coming right next to the driveway on the same side of the yard as the main water cut off box that is by the street. The house is on the other side of the driveway.

Are you thinking it might be the supply water line leaking and not an irrigation line?

So there is water in some of the sprinkler lines even when they are turned off right? - Yes, there is a main line that stays pressurized behind the 3 valves you found. That is the irrigation “main” line that hooks into your house line. It’s this line that should have a backflow and shutoff valve.

If I had managed to cut one how much water would be leaking out? Would the leak detector on the meter constantly be spinning?
If you hit the main line you would have water under pressure leaking out constantly. The amount would depend on size of break. If you nicked a lateral line, the ones past the solenoid valves it would leak out the amount of water in that section of line then stop. The lateral line doesn’t stay under static pressure so the water leak would ultimately stop unless water is leaking through the valve. (Seperate issue)

If there is a leak and its coming up from the ground would the wet area be getting larger and larger? Should I see air bubbles or anything in the puddle that's already appeared?
Depends on size of leak, which line you hit and perk rate of soil and temperature.

I cant find the shut off box anywhere near the meter or near the box pictured. There was nothing under the house either. Should I try to dig down the area where the leak is or is it best just to call someone to look at the issue? I'm just trying to figure out if it is a irrigation issue or if it is possible that the ground is just holding water run off.[/QUOTE]
Exploritory surgery won’t hurt anything if you are careful.
Irr guy is going to do the same thing. Are you sure there isn’t a sprinkler head that may be buried that is leaking in that spot? Did you try to turn off all toilet valves, sinks, washing machines in house and see if meter is still spinning yet to determine you have a leak?

I had a leaking main line to house that was very similar to this.
Step one is determine the meter is still spinning after everything in house is turned off.
Then you know you have a leak. If you do have a leak, the challenge will be determining if it’s the irr system or house line without the irr shutoff valve being located.

I told everyone in the house not to use the water and went out and made note of the numbers on the meter. I went back out 2 hours later and that numbers were all in the same space and the area in the center was not moving. Does this indicate that it may not be a water line issue but a drainage issue? If the main water line or a main irrigation line was nicked or leaking then the leak detector would be spinning steadily correct?

Thanks for all you guys help.

I told everyone in the house not to use the water and went out and made note of the numbers on the meter. I went back out 2 hours later and that numbers were all in the same space and the area in the center was not moving. Does this indicate that it may not be a water line issue but a drainage issue? If the main water line or a main irrigation line was nicked or leaking then the leak detector would be spinning steadily correct?

Thanks for all you guys help.

If you did a two hour check on your meter and all of the numbers were exactly the same and the dial had not moved at all then you do not have a leak. If it was like you took a picture and could take the same exact picture two hours later you are fine.
Most likely you either have a drainage/runoff issue or the only possibility would be that you nicked a sprinkler line that had some residual water and it will be gone in a few days. If that happened it would not affect your bill and it was just like when you turn off the hose and someone grabs the end and tries to spray it, you get a little squirt until the water in the hose drains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of your automatic valves (solenoids) for your sprinkler system is likely leaking. I can come by and look at it for you.

I can’t find anything next to the main shut off by the street or anything near the house where the electronics come into the box. Here is my main. Could it be under the house in the crawl space?

If I don’t use the water tonight or flush the toilet if the number on the meter goes up will that tell me if I have a leak?

You should see a smaller round box next to your main water. Take something to poke the ground with. Could be the lid is missing only other way to find it is to dig up the area

All I can say is they're a pain when they start to leak and the cheap plastic cutoff on mine is a joke that doesn't work !

Back
Top Bottom