• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help with squirrel dog

rimfire

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
30   0
Reaction score
Hey guy.Got me a 12mo old treeing fiest female.She will go hunting and kinda squeek bark on a squirrel but she will not stick the tree and bark like I want her too.You can shoot the squirrel out and she will come running after the meat.Real smart and gamey lil dog.Showed her a caged squirrel today and she squeeked a lil but just jump up n down the tree wanting the squirrel.I tried to coach her on to barking but couldnt.Let the squirrel go in front of her and she knows what tree but will only go around and around.Should I be looking for a better dog to start or keep messing with her?Any suggestions?

I know this is hard to do, but you have to go with it: Stop shooting the squirrels unless she opens up and barks. I wouldn't show any more caged squirrels either. I know its hard to hold back, but the more frustrated she gets when one is up there or timbering out on her the more likely she is to open up and bark.
Now for the sticking to the tree, you have to get her conditioned to being tied to a tree in the woods. If she is OK with that in the yard and then in the woods when there is no squirrel, you can go to tying her to the tree the squirrel is in. Some will tie the dog back away to both make it stick and frustrate it to bark. It depends on how you want your finished dog to behave.

Ive got 2 squirrel dogs. A Chihuahua and a Yorkie. I kid you not when I tell you they will tree those suckers like nobodies business. Its hilarious to watch.

Back
Top Bottom