• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Helping a Disabled Elderly lady

How is the house and wiring? When do the outlets spark (1) when you just plug something in like just an extension cord with nothing plugged int o that . (2) pug some thing in that is already drawing power, like a lamp in the on posit?. (3) when you turn something on that is already plugged in? (4) do they just randomly throw spark when power is being used or not? (5) Are they located in the kitchen, wash room or outside.

IF #5 My thoughts would be grease, lint, corrosion or just plain worn out from plugging, unplugging,(iron maybe)

I'm not a electrician but, I have been in maintenance, remodel, handyman, residential . and commercial for 25 years and built few houses.

If had not just had rotator cuff surgery tuesday I'd come take a look.

As for the goat, I have no idea.

Unlicensed electrical work is how buildings burn. I'm a professional firefighter and see this daily.

You won't be helping this lady if you let some self proclaimed handyman work on the electrical. You may hurt her or make things worse than they are now.

Just my professional opinion.

Yeah, I was thinking you were just trying to talk them out of keeping you employed. Ya'll got enough to do.

Just another opinion but I would not allow anyone who was not licensed and insured to do the electrical work. I do all my own electrical work and do it for immediate family and really close friends but thats it and thats my choice. If something goes wrong and this ladies house burns to ashes or worse, someone dies, thats open season on "the guy" that wired it. So despite how it seems Vanny, it would be for YOUR own good not to do it. Just my perspective. People have been sued over much much less now days. Maybe Darkdiesel Darkdiesel would be interested.

Just another opinion but I would not allow anyone who was not licensed and insured to do the electrical work. I do all my own electrical work and do it for immediate family and really close friends but thats it and thats my choice. If something goes wrong and this ladies house burns to ashes or worse, someone dies, thats open season on "the guy" that wired it. So despite how it seems Vanny, it would be for YOUR own good not to do it. Just my perspective. People have been sued over much much less now days. Maybe Darkdiesel Darkdiesel would be interested.
Sounds to me like these outlets are past their service life. As long as the wires in the j box have not been damaged from heat it should be a simple removal and replacement of the affected outlets.

I'm slammed until after thanksgiving. This is also quite a bit out of our service area, our base of operations is in kennesaw. There is another EC on the board that lives in the area, I'll send him a pm and see if he can make it over and help y'all out. If not I'll see what I can do about getting out there. In the meantime make sure she's not using space heaters or vacuums with the affected outlets, it'll only make them worse.

I know squat about electrical but is it common for multiple outlets to go bad like that simultaneously? :confused:
Good on you OP!
Very common, there's usually only a few easily accessible outlets in a room, these get the most use and wear out quicker. One of our most common service calls, especially when winter hits and folks drag out the space heaters.

Just a update I go there this week to get pictures and all the information I can of everything. Thank you all who Pmed me. Ill get back to you all

Back
Top Bottom