• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Henrys...

Balthazar00

Default rank <1250 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
35   0
Reaction score
I'd like to get some feedback on what you think about Henry lever-action rifles. I'm looking for a good all-around rifle for my property and have been eyeing the Henry 30-30 and the Golden Boy .45 Colt Long. I know that each one has its advantages and disadvantages (e.g., cost of ammunition, velocity FPS, etc.) I also realize that they are not a low cost rifle. I'm kind of an old-fashioned guy (not sure if that's a good thing or not!) and am not really attracted to the ARs, etc. I used to shoot a Marlin 30-30 from time to time (back in the 80s and early 90s) and really liked it. There's something about the lever-action I really like. I'm open to all feedback and opinions. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a .357 and I love it. If you want to plink, just use .38. Walmart has .357 mag perfecta for like $16 a box. I've used all kinds of ammo in it, zero issues ever. Amazing rifle, can't say enough good about it.

Only have one Henry. Big Boy Steel in .44 mag. I wanted it for hunting, so didn't want the shiny brass alloy and wanted a sling etc. I really couldn't be happier with it or the way it shoots. The ability to use .44 spcl is just a bonus.

They now make an all-weather 30-30 and .45-70. Have you seen them? They're heavier than the blued ones, but lighter than the ones with the brass receivers and octagonal barrels.

My father sold two winchesters to buy one like mine, he liked it so much.

I'm kind of leaning toward the 30-30 because of cost of ammunition, but I sure do like that Big Boy .45 Colt Long. It seems like there is extremely little recoil with the .45. I'm a big dude, so recoil is not a huge issue with me. I guess I just need to get off the pot and make a decision! LOL! I'm just having a hard time spending between $750 and $850 for it. I do like that it's made in America (brighter days... hopefully... for our country in the not-too-distant future.)

I'm kind of leaning toward the 30-30 because of cost of ammunition, but I sure do like that Big Boy .45 Colt Long. It seems like there is extremely little recoil with the .45. I'm a big dude, so recoil is not a huge issue with me. I guess I just need to get off the pot and make a decision! LOL! I'm just having a hard time spending between $750 and $850 for it. I do like that it's made in America (brighter days... hopefully... for our country in the not-too-distant future.)

If you buy any lesser lever gun, you'll be disappointed. After a Henry, I have been ruined on all others. They are absolutely worth every penny :)

Back
Top Bottom