• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Henrys...

They now make an all-weather 30-30 and .45-70. Have you seen them? They're heavier than the blued ones, but lighter than the ones with the brass receivers and octagonal barrels.
I have but I didn't want that finish.

I'm kind of leaning toward the 30-30 because of cost of ammunition, but I sure do like that Big Boy .45 Colt Long. It seems like there is extremely little recoil with the .45. I'm a big dude, so recoil is not a huge issue with me. I guess I just need to get off the pot and make a decision! LOL! I'm just having a hard time spending between $750 and $850 for it. I do like that it's made in America (brighter days... hopefully... for our country in the not-too-distant future.)
The .44 mag recoil is non-existent even with LeveRevolution ammo. It's almost weird. :)

I have but I didn't want that finish.

The .44 mag recoil is non-existent even with LeveRevolution ammo. It's almost weird. :)

Really? Wow! I normally don't shoot .44. What does a box of .44 ammo run (generally)? I know it depends what kind. I don't shoot enough to do my own reloading, so I'd probably just purchase new from time to time.

Really? Wow! I normally don't shoot .44. What does a box of .44 ammo run (generally)? I know it depends what kind. I don't shoot enough to do my own reloading, so I'd probably just purchase new from time to time.
Comparable to .45lc maybe a little less. The LeveRevolution is specifically designed for levers (and a 20" barrel) so the velocity is materially more (1,410fps muzzle) than say SD ammo but... it's not cheap... about $1 a round. :( But it's not plinking ammo, it's for hunting.
Depending on how generic you want to go, you can get stuff for around $0.50 round.
.44 spcl is a bit more.

If ammo cost is a concern and you think you'd do some volume shooting, I'd get the .357mag/.38 special for sure.

Comparable to .45lc maybe a little less. The LeveRevolution is specifically designed for levers (and a 20" barrel) so the velocity is materially more (1,410fps muzzle) than say SD ammo but... it's not cheap... about $1 a round. :( But it's not plinking ammo, it's for hunting.
Depending on how generic you want to go, you can get stuff for around $0.50 round.
.44 spcl is a bit more.

If ammo cost is a concern and you think you'd do some volume shooting, I'd get the .357mag/.38 special for sure.

That is good advice! I probably won't do much volume shooting. I'm just stingy when it comes to money! LOL! I need something that will take down a bobcat, wild dogs, coyotes, etc. very quickly, if needed. We don't have black bears in this area, so I'm not too worried about them. I imagine that any of them (.357/.38 special, 30-30, .45LC, .44mag) would do the trick. I believe that that latter two may just blow them to pieces! LOL!

That is good advice! I probably won't do much volume shooting. I'm just stingy when it comes to money! LOL! I need something that will take down a bobcat, wild dogs, coyotes, etc. very quickly, if needed. We don't have black bears in this area, so I'm not too worried about them. I imagine that any of them (.357/.38 special, 30-30, .45LC, .44mag) would do the trick. I believe that that latter two may just blow them to pieces! LOL!
Any of those will certainly handle something up to feral dogs handily. If you really intend to shoot very little and only 'as needed' then get whatever sounds like you might like it the best. If deer are ever a possibility, I'd personally not choose the .357 given the other choices but it is certainly capable within more limited ranges. http://www.hornady.com/store/357-Mag-140-gr-FTX-LEVERevolution/

I've had 3030 and 44 but decided on the 357. It makes it fun to shoot again. It is also capable of taking game with the exception of bears. Walmart Perfecta ammo is cheap and does a great job. Check out the Henry website.

I had a Henry 30/30 and it was a fine rifle. I don't remember why I traded it but I regret it. I should have kept it for my son's first deer rifle. It was beautiful. The only thing I did not like was the ghost ring sights. I'm picky about Iron sights on a rifle, and yes, they are a requirement for me. Still, it was a great rifle and those sights are certainly not a deal breaker.

30/30 or .357/.38 would be my choice for ammo costs and availability. Plus they are more than adequate for anything in Ga. If I picked a .357 it would be because I have .357 revolvers and it would make a nice pair. If I did not plan to pair the rifle with a .357/.38 handgun, I would go with the 30/30.

I had a Henry 30/30 and it was a fine rifle. I don't remember why I traded it but I regret it. I should have kept it for my son's first deer rifle. It was beautiful. The only thing I did not like was the ghost ring sights. I'm picky about Iron sights on a rifle, and yes, they are a requirement for me. Still, it was a great rifle and those sights are certainly not a deal breaker.

30/30 or .357/.38 would be my choice for ammo costs and availability. Plus they are more than adequate for anything in Ga. If I picked a .357 it would be because I have .357 revolvers and it would make a nice pair. If I did not plan to pair the rifle with a .357/.38 handgun, I would go with the 30/30.

I gotta admit, I do have quite a bit of .357/.38 ammo because I have an S&W 686 revolver, a Taurus .38 special, and an S&W .38 special AirWeight. Hmmm... :-)

Back
Top Bottom