• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Here we go again. Damn it!

giphy.gif

I almost decided beforehand to let him walk once I saw he had a broken tine in the pics, but changed my mind. He's just too big. He has a huge body on him, too. I didn't appreciate how big until I saw him in person.

Any good taxidermist can fix that tine. The age of a buck makes it more of a trophy to me than the horns, but everyone is different. Either way, this buck has very nice head gear
In for results. I bet he's in the creek!

Yep, this is exactly what I was thinking, but according to Bear44 it is basically a flood plain with water everywhere.
The area he's in is a 50 yard wide flood plane with a nice steep sided creek running through it. The ridges on the sides are very steep and tall. The flood plane runs for a few hundred more yards in the direction he went and widens some, but not much. At the end of it there is a road that is also up a very steep and tall hill. Unless he went trough a culvert or up one of those hills, he's in there.

So he is in there somewhere if the hit was fatal, but where? If he went up one of those hills, that's not good, although I have found them 50 yards up a hill before they expired and could not climb higher. Skirting the bottom halves of those hills and any ravines coming into them would be the first place I would look, if I had no blood trail.

In for updates.

I put my crossbow away in October.

I haven't carried a bow or crossbow into the woods in 2 years...Maybe 3 years...I can't remember. I'm going to start bow hunting again next year. I already have a couple spots picked out. I want to try the recurve.

Back
Top Bottom