• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Here we go again. Damn it!

The bad news. I'm not going to get him.

The good news. I think he will survive.

I jumped him way back in the canyon and well up the side of a steep ridge. He was bedded in thick cover. He was about 40 yards away and ran off like a normal healthy deer, other than favoring his right front leg. He wasn't favoring it much, either. I found his bed. No blood. I was able to track his prints for a ways. No blood. I think all I hit was the top of his shoulder blade and muscle. Nothing vital, so as long as infection doesn't set in, I think he will be okay. I might eventually get another chance at him.

When I jumped him he was between me and the open end of the canyon and that's where he headed. I came out very slow and careful and stayed high on the canyon wall. I had pretty good visibility of the entire area. I think he stayed ahead of me and is now out of the canyon.

I'll go back out tomorrow and check the few thick areas in the canyon where he might have bedded down again, but I don't think he'll be in any of them.

It sucks, but not nearly as much as not knowing would have. I should have aimed at the lower third like I do with a compound bow. Lesson learned.

That's hunting. It happens to all of us. I won't even mention my most memorable losses. I'm glad the buck is doing OK. They are resilient and have a great will to live. Especially those big ones. He'll be back, and if he is still around next fall, he will be a monster. One for the P&Y books.

Good on you, man. Sorry you didn't get him. All you can do is get back out there and get another one. You have over a month and you have a buck tag. I wish I did!

That's hunting. It happens to all of us. I won't even mention my most memorable losses. I'm glad the buck is doing OK. They are resilient and have a great will to live. Especially those big ones. He'll be back, and if he is still around next fall, he will be a monster. One for the P&Y books.

Good on you, man. Sorry you didn't get him. All you can do is get back out there and get another one. You have over a month and you have a buck tag. I wish I did!
Thanks, man. I'm very glad I saw him and I'm confident he will survive. That makes all the difference in the world to me. If I had just never found him I would have been sick about it for a very long time.

Thanks, man. I'm very glad I saw him and I'm confident he will survive. That makes all the difference in the world to me. If I had just never found him I would have been sick about it for a very long time.

I know the feeling.. I hit a deer pretty good with my crossbow, watched him hit the dirt and get up and take off. I could never find him. I’m sure he died though. Maybe he will be back!

I know the feeling.. I hit a deer pretty good with my crossbow, watched him hit the dirt and get up and take off. I could never find him. I’m sure he died though. Maybe he will be back!
I'm hoping he will. Hell, unless I pushed him completely out of the area I might even get another chance at him this year. I've still got almost a month in North Fulton.

Yes you would have and I can totally relate.

The bad news. I'm not going to get him.

The good news. I think he will survive.

I jumped him way back in the canyon and well up the side of a steep ridge. He was bedded in thick cover. He was about 40 yards away and ran off like a normal healthy deer, other than favoring his right front leg. He wasn't favoring it much, either. I found his bed. No blood. I was able to track his prints for a ways. No blood. I think all I hit was the top of his shoulder blade and muscle. Nothing vital, so as long as infection doesn't set in, I think he will be okay. I might eventually get another chance at him.

When I jumped him he was between me and the open end of the canyon and that's where he headed. I came out very slow and careful and stayed high on the canyon wall. I had pretty good visibility of the entire area. I think he stayed ahead of me and is now out of the canyon.

I'll go back out tomorrow and check the few thick areas in the canyon where he might have bedded down again, but I don't think he'll be in any of them.

It sucks, but not nearly as much as not knowing would have. I should have aimed at the lower third like I do with a compound bow. Lesson learned.
Not the happiest of endings but a happy one nonetheless. Not knowing is the worst.

Back
Top Bottom