• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Here we go again. Damn it!

After spotting him again on Sunday, I went back out and checked a few possible bedding areas the next day, but I'm convinced he's left the area completely at this point. He may eventually come back, but I seriously doubt he has yet.

If he's still alive.
Hopefully he comes back into that area. Mature bucks usually come back to their core areas after the rut, so I’m sure he will come back before season’s end. That is where he is comfortable and where he wants to be. We all bump plenty of deer, only to see them eventually return. I doubt he directly associates the bolt striking him with your presence in the area since he technically didn’t encounter you until some time afterward. The overall lack of blood sure does sound like a hit in “no mans land”, just above the vitals. We all feel a strong sense of responsibility for every pull of the trigger and where that projectile ends up. Many of us have walked that mile in your shoes. It sucks for sure but don’t let it leave too bad of a taste in your mouth. You did your part and made a valiant effort to recover the deer. Some would have merely done half of that. I doubt that this will be your last encounter with that particular buck.

Hopefully he comes back into that area. Mature bucks usually come back to their core areas after the rut, so I’m sure he will come back before season’s end. That is where he is comfortable and where he wants to be. We all bump plenty of deer, only to see them eventually return. I doubt he directly associates the bolt striking him with your presence in the area since he technically didn’t encounter you until some time afterward. The overall lack of blood sure does sound like a hit in “no mans land”, just above the vitals. We all feel a strong sense of responsibility for every pull of the trigger and where that projectile ends up. Many of us have walked that mile in your shoes. It sucks for sure but don’t let it leave too bad of a taste in your mouth. You did your part and made a valiant effort to recover the deer. Some would have merely done half of that. I doubt that this will be your last encounter with that particular buck.
I sure hope you are right. I have been back to the area several times now, but stayed on the outskirts. I'm fortunate that there is a pretty good overlook on the edge. I can see about a fifth of the canyon from it. No sign of him and (what I'm really looking for) no sign of Vultures. I think if there were Vultures flying anywhere over the canyon I would be able to see them.

At this point getting another shot at him is secondary. I mostly just want to know he made it.

If you got him in the shoulder any he should leave plow marks where he’s pushing the ground over trying to run. I would think a spinal hit would be the same.

I'm hoping he has a short memory. LOL!
I still have at least one active scrape on my place so there is still some activity at least with that buck but the rut is well over the manic stage and behavior including territory and movement will have changed even without pressure. He may have gone strictly nocturnal and keeping close to a small core area close to a good food source. Deer are resilient, I think his chances are good.

I may never see the broke tine 8 again, but I let this guy walk twice this year. He should be a monster next year.

next year 8 (2).JPG

The time on the camera is an hour off.

Back
Top Bottom