• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Here we go

safe_image.php

Read more: https://blog.princelaw.com/2019/07/...ipped-with-a-stabilizing-brace/#ixzz5u3CmEuFk
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

Based on this letter, it is safe to say that ATF is taking the position that firearms equipped with stabilizing braces need to have their overall length measured with the brace folded or to the end of the receiver extension if the brace is stationary and non-adjustable. Adding a vertical foregrip to a firearm that has an overall length of less than 26 inches results in the making of an AOW, which is subject to the National Firearms Act.
I don't put VFG on any of mine, so I guess I'm good...

This has come up several times... and it's not even worth bothering about. Kraut's clarification is exactly right in that this is something very few people would care about.

We all 'know' that putting a VFG on a 'pistol' makes it an AOW. It's just a question of how the ATF defines 'pistol'.

All they are saying here is that if the overall length (without the brace) is more than 26 inches, it's not a pistol. The usual rule about an AFG being OK on a pistol still holds, and this has nothing to do with 'braces' at all except to say don't count them in your OAL measurement.

Nothing to see here folks... no falling skies.

Vertical fore grips that is... for some reason an angled fore-grip is just fine, and doesn't incur the wrath of the NFA gods.

Pistols are still pistols, and can have the braces attached.

Rifles must meet the 26" requirement.

VERTICAL grips on pistols are still verbotten.

Back
Top Bottom