• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Here we go...

Against my better judgment, I want to wade into this bucket of random AR vs 12ga / pump vs semi / rich vs poor / mossberg vs beretta / Hickock vs Miculek ..."discussions" we have going.
Full disclosure:
-I turn 51 Sunday, so likely will sound like a fudd.
-Just shaved off most of my beard because I'm just tired of dealing with it, so my operator status is right out the window now.
-I guess I'm mostly "poor", as my shotgun stable does contain an old 870, and a 590A1 that I picked up from a police trade in sale at a great price. (In addition to a few other pieces)
On to the discussion.....
* In regards to the excerpt in the OP..... I would agree that a semi auto is better, with the caveat that the auto loader is of reputable and suitable quality for the task. If I were to need to pick up a firearm in defense of my home or family, it would without a doubt be my Beretta 1301.
1- I am most familiar with a shotgun to begin with, never have warmed up to an AR platform.
2- The 1301 is operationally identical to my A400's that I use for duck hunting, dove hunting, skeet, and sporting clays. That level of familiarity is comforting.
3- My Beretta shotguns all use the blink system and have proven reliable with any load, any time, even when filthy and wet in a duck blind, or shooting the cheapest reloads at the skeet range. One of my son in laws also uses an A400 for everything, and his idea of cleaning a shotgun is pouring the swamp water out of the receiver after it tumbles off the duck boat or blind. His has yet to fail or jam as well. ANY MACHINE REQUIRES MAINTENANCE AND IS FALLIBLE. That being said, I have implicit faith in the blink system being there when I need it to work.
4- The 1301 will cycle dove shells one handed, and is not unmanageable with 3" slugs one handed.
If I did not have the 1301, I'd feel equally as faithful in my equipment if picking up the 870, or the 590A1. What the 1301 affords me, is the luxury of taking some of my error making ability out of the equation, such as short stroking the action, or needing to find smaller controls to manipulate the weapon.
* Rich vs poors- I'm definitely team poor. Can't even afford to have the Glock I keep in my pocket everyday stippled, so I can operate! . And yuk, it's a Glock of all things.
* Beretta vs Mossberg- I have both...... problem solved. And a bonus 870! Not sure if that weighs me more towards poor or well versed, but I'm too old to care anymore.
* AR vs Shotgun- I do understand the benefits and shortcomings of both platforms, and have carefully considered what I feel is the most likely useful, for engagements NOT in a theater of war (2 way range with combatants armed with rifles specifically intent on killing each other) ....... and for ME, in MY hands, with MY level of familiarity, and MY experience/preference, the scattergun is my choice for home defense. Most anything that's likely to be a threat on my property, is well within range of a shotgun slug. (That's not to say I can't hit anything with an AR, don't own one of them, and can't make use of it) The fact is, I MUCH MORE enjoy sporting clays, duck hunting and shotgun sports, than ringing steel with an AR, so by default, I do it much more and stay better versed in the platform. My AR has been shot one time to zero the Eotech and frankly, I have no urge or desire to even look at it when I open the safe. For whatever reason, it don't crank my tractor.
If you're still reading this far in, you're probably as bored as I am on my day off. I'm going to clean a shotgun or something.....
Let the fudd bashing and poor flaming begin!

Against my better judgment, I want to wade into this bucket of random AR vs 12ga / pump vs semi / rich vs poor / mossberg vs beretta / Hickock vs Miculek ..."discussions" we have going.
Full disclosure:
-I turn 51 Sunday, so likely will sound like a fudd.
-Just shaved off most of my beard because I'm just tired of dealing with it, so my operator status is right out the window now.
-I guess I'm mostly "poor", as my shotgun stable does contain an old 870, and a 590A1 that I picked up from a police trade in sale at a great price. (In addition to a few other pieces)
On to the discussion.....
* In regards to the excerpt in the OP..... I would agree that a semi auto is better, with the caveat that the auto loader is of reputable and suitable quality for the task. If I were to need to pick up a firearm in defense of my home or family, it would without a doubt be my Beretta 1301.
1- I am most familiar with a shotgun to begin with, never have warmed up to an AR platform.
2- The 1301 is operationally identical to my A400's that I use for duck hunting, dove hunting, skeet, and sporting clays. That level of familiarity is comforting.
3- My Beretta shotguns all use the blink system and have proven reliable with any load, any time, even when filthy and wet in a duck blind, or shooting the cheapest reloads at the skeet range. One of my son in laws also uses an A400 for everything, and his idea of cleaning a shotgun is pouring the swamp water out of the receiver after it tumbles off the duck boat or blind. His has yet to fail or jam as well. ANY MACHINE REQUIRES MAINTENANCE AND IS FALLIBLE. That being said, I have implicit faith in the blink system being there when I need it to work.
4- The 1301 will cycle dove shells one handed, and is not unmanageable with 3" slugs one handed.
If I did not have the 1301, I'd feel equally as faithful in my equipment if picking up the 870, or the 590A1. What the 1301 affords me, is the luxury of taking some of my error making ability out of the equation, such as short stroking the action, or needing to find smaller controls to manipulate the weapon.
* Rich vs poors- I'm definitely team poor. Can't even afford to have the Glock I keep in my pocket everyday stippled, so I can operate! . And yuk, it's a Glock of all things.
* Beretta vs Mossberg- I have both...... problem solved. And a bonus 870! Not sure if that weighs me more towards poor or well versed, but I'm too old to care anymore.
* AR vs Shotgun- I do understand the benefits and shortcomings of both platforms, and have carefully considered what I feel is the most likely useful, for engagements NOT in a theater of war (2 way range with combatants armed with rifles specifically intent on killing each other) ....... and for ME, in MY hands, with MY level of familiarity, and MY experience/preference, the scattergun is my choice for home defense. Most anything that's likely to be a threat on my property, is well within range of a shotgun slug. (That's not to say I can't hit anything with an AR, don't own one of them, and can't make use of it) The fact is, I MUCH MORE enjoy sporting clays, duck hunting and shotgun sports, than ringing steel with an AR, so by default, I do it much more and stay better versed in the platform. My AR has been shot one time to zero the Eotech and frankly, I have no urge or desire to even look at it when I open the safe. For whatever reason, it don't crank my tractor.
If you're still reading this far in, you're probably as bored as I am on my day off. I'm going to clean a shotgun or something.....
Let the fudd bashing and poor flaming begin!
I like the way you think. Don’t agree with what parts I read altogether but…. I just need a 416 Barrett and I’m done. Oh, and 3 AR15 pistol lowers. Lol

Back
Top Bottom