• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Here's a Tip

I'm so honored SPAMBOTS found this post and robo-posted some generic statement in it, with a link
(probably to where you can download a great new virus ! )

I give that spammer a ".9 out of 10" on the quality of his first post on ODT.

Most him owners that have handled or owned guns for a while know and don't give a crap how a decimal is placed. However you failed to mention that the .410 shot gun is a caliber and not a bore.

Decimal points belong in written expressions of a gun's caliber.
Since all the guns we own have bores of less than one inch in diameter, every time we type a caliber online it is correct to use the decimal point. That shows that the "caliber" being described is actually a fraction of an inch.

.45 caliber is nominally 45/100 of an inch.

.30 caliber means the hole in the bore, before any rifling grooves are cut into it, was drilled with a 0.30" bit.

A 9mm is not really a "caliber" although we may call it that in common usage, instead of saying "9 mm bore cartridge" or something weird like that. We might say we carried three "caliber" guns to the range today-- a .38, a 9mm and a .40. We might say our newest concealed carry gun has a "caliber" of 9mm. Thats no big deal. I'm not criticizing that. It's a technicality.

What I will criticize is sticking a decimal point in front of a millimeter-designated metric cartridge. A millimeter is a tiny thing, like the thickness of a grain of Uncle Ben's rice. All the guns and bullets we talk about here online are GREATER than one full millimeter. In fact they'll all be over 4 mm, as the smallest-bore cartridges I know of are the .17 calibers, and they're nominally 4.5 mm.

Therefore, don't call your 9 x 19 mm pistol a ".9 mm" unless you want to look like an ignoramus who doesn't know the difference between an inch and a millimeter, or has no idea what that little dot that looks like a period means when used with numbers.

(If you've forgotten 3rd grade math and need a reminder what a decimal point is, click this link to watch a helpful video:

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/ar...iew-decimals-intro/v/introduction-to-decimals
or this one:
https://www.khanacademy.org/math/ar...ith-review-decimals-intro/v/decimals-as-words
Well then, if we all know that gun bores are under one inch, and everyone know what we are talking about, the decimal point is quite irrelevant.
I try to remember to be correct, but I certainly wont lose any sleep over it.

Thanks GAgunLAWbooklet GAgunLAWbooklet . Once again it has been proven that "You can lead a horse to water and you are going to get a lot of :boink:from the crowd. Interesting information re calibres (yes, I know it's not the "American" way to spell it, but I am playing Devil's advocate here).

Can't wait for someone to give us an explanation of shotgun chokes. i.e. Is the 12 gauge the only barrel that can be choked, or can it be done on the 20 gauge, 28 gauge and .410? And what exactly does " "skeet" "modified" "cylinder" "improved cylinder" and "full" choke really mean ?

Not trying to be punny, but waiting with baited breath. :eyebrows:

Thanks GAgunLAWbooklet GAgunLAWbooklet . Once again it has been proven that "You can lead a horse to water and you are going to get a lot of :boink:from the crowd. Interesting information re calibres (yes, I know it's not the "American" way to spell it, but I am playing Devil's advocate here).

Can't wait for someone to give us an explanation of shotgun chokes. i.e. Is the 12 gauge the only barrel that can be choked, or can it be done on the 20 gauge, 28 gauge and .410? And what exactly does " "skeet" "modified" "cylinder" "improved cylinder" and "full" choke really mean ?

Not trying to be punny, but waiting with baited breath. :eyebrows:
You can choke any barrel. Have vise, will choke.

Back
Top Bottom