• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Here's a Tip

I'm always gratified when someone brings up something I've never, consciously, experienced before. And a caliber expressed as it's metric size, if that's how it was initially released, 9mm Parabellum, 9mm Kurz etc, is perfectly legitimate.

Hey OP, are you going to tackle Pounders too? Brits are confusing as hell on cannons.......

Is a 17 pound gun as good as a 75mm?

Asking for a friend.....

I'd rather have a 17 pounder than a 3-inch 20 hundredweight. (or is that .20 cwt?)

Also, how does my AR shoot a round that’s less than a quarter of an inch with a .223 round AND shoot a 5 and a half inch round with a 5.56 boolet? It’s mind bottling!

Now SHOTGUN GAUGES are another thing that confuse people.

Most shotguns and ammo they fire are described in "gauges" which is NOT a caliber. It has nothing to do with saying how wide the bore is in inches, or fractions of an inch, or the decimal equivalent of that inch fraction.

A "gauge" in the gun world means how many pure lead balls of exact bore diameter would it take to add up to a pound of lead.

10 gauge (also called "10 bore") means each perfectly-fitting lead ball would weigh 1/10 of a pound.

20 gauge would use lead balls that weigh half as much, so it takes 20 of them (not 10) to make a pound.

.410 isn't a gauge, it's a caliber. Just like you'd use for describing the bore of a rifle or pistol in English units based on the inch.

But for "GAUGES" you don't use a decimal. They're all more than one.

A " .20 gauge" gun, (that really is 1/5 of one gauge) would have a bore so wide that one single lead ball that fits down its barrel would weigh 5 lbs. That would be a cannon with about a 2-inch bore, I think.

So it's just "twenty gauge." Not "point-twenty gauge" or "period-twenty gauge."

Ninety per cent of printed newspapers will report the use of a .12 gauge shotgun. Drives me nuts.

Back
Top Bottom