• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hey Carpenters- Staircase Rebuild

harrycalahan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
I had to tear out the landing on our basement staircase. It was soft and poorly built with osb. That turned into ripping the carpet off the rest of the stairs. While I was demo’ing, the wife consulted joanna gaines and this is what Im told I want now. I think Ive sourced some pine at HD for the treads but finishing is not my area of expertise. Are the treads pictured just stained or stained and then poly’d for durability? Or do you think its a vinyl cap? What would be the best finish for heavy traffic? In the meantime, Im going to try and convince the boss that some leftover LVP flooring would look good too. Thanks for any help.
8E84FDD5-E6F3-4C7F-A670-268ECA4DD13D.jpeg

HC, thats not pine treads...looks like white oak to me. White oak is a great stair tread if you can find it, you usually need at least an 1.5 inch with a round nose, but looks like those treads have a flat nose, and look 2 inch thick.

Pine is soft, and will not stand up to traffic over time, if you have kids or dogs, pine will get worn quickly.

I would take a couple different choices and stain them to get approval from the boss. When I wanted to make my stair treads look old, I match the wood (red oak) and then used a torch to "toast" the grain to add some age.

I dont think a vinyl wrap will hold up...not sure about engineered wood.

Water based poly as a finish is probably best.

For what it's worth I did my stairs using oak plywood and glued on 1.5 of solid oak across the front edge. I have a 9 year old son that goes up and down those stairs to the playroom,it's been 2 years and they have held up perfectly no chips or scratches. I did a dark stain with a water based polyurethane. I think I did all 11 steps for under $300

HC, thats not pine treads...looks like white oak to me. White oak is a great stair tread if you can find it, you usually need at least an 1.5 inch with a round nose, but looks like those treads have a flat nose, and look 2 inch thick.

Pine is soft, and will not stand up to traffic over time, if you have kids or dogs, pine will get worn quickly.

I would take a couple different choices and stain them to get approval from the boss. When I wanted to make my stair treads look old, I match the wood (red oak) and then used a torch to "toast" the grain to add some age.

I dont think a vinyl wrap will hold up...not sure about engineered wood.

Water based poly as a finish is probably best.
I dont know what oak would cost me from a sawmill but it will probably be more than I'm willing to pay. I'll call around and find out today. I forgot to mention I'm on a very limited budget and was not originally planning on rebuilding the entire staircase but here I am. I've already got the lumber for framing the landing so that wont cost anything.

My existing treads are 1" thick and rises are 8-1/2". I'll have to see what code is here. But the 8-1/2" rises are comfortable so I'd like to maintain that if possible.
I saw those earlier but I also realized Im going to have a custom landing at the bottom so I would need something I can cut to fit.

Back
Top Bottom