• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hey old guyz. Tell us a story from the old days ;)

We had a horseshoe pit in our backyard
adjacent to a split rail fence. Didn't take long
after the shoes started ringing the posts for
neighbors to show up ready to take on the
winners. I was about 12 y/o iirc, sitting on the
fence watching the goins on. Heard someone
holler "watch out!" just before a horseshoe hit
me in the left side which knocked me backwards
off the fench. The landing knocked the wind out
of me for a loooong time. While waiting for breathing
to return folks asking "are U okay?" and other questions
that I can't answer cause I still can't breath. When I was
able to breath again, gave me some idea of how a man
dying from thirst must feel when he finally gets a sip of water.
Turned out that neighbor Kenny was trying for a ringer from
2-3 times the distance rather than from next to the far pole.
That explains why he was wide and to the right eight feet.
Still not my worst calamity as a sports spectator. Ever hear
of anyone else breaking an elbow while watching a basket
ball game?
My mother's brother in law got hit in the head with a horse shoe at a labor day celebration in 1942. He went to bed that night and never woke up. They think blood clot or a bleed of some kind.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

I remember sheep shearing time at my uncle's place and the smell of lanolin. I remember seeing it rain across the prairie and jumping in a truck just to chase it down because it hadn't rained in so long. Funny how you remember all the good stuff and the bad slides away.

For all us old guys who remember ice trays instead of ice makers and that the ice being made was sacred for supper time at least in my house. We used to keep water in mason jars in the refrigerator to have cold water during the day. Well one day my grandpa put a mason jar of his homebrew in the fridge without telling anybody. I guess I was around 11 or so. I came in from the barn hot and sweaty so I grabbed the "water" jar out of the fridge. You know how it is when you're really thirsty and you just guzzle water down? Well that's what I did. The fire in my throat took my breath and I passed out right there. Mama was furious but Daddy and Grandpa thought it was a right funny turn of events. From then on I took a whiff of what was in the jar before I took a drink.
Neighbors had sheep and when they sheared dad would send my brother and I over to their place with all of our work boots. We would help stuff the wool into the big tubes with our boots. They would come out of there all polished and oiled up.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

QfNgYY.gif

He was my granny's favorite, along with Tommy "Wildfire" Rich.
And let me tell you......if you tried to tell granny Viola that rasslin was fake....she'd lay a very real beat down on you right there in the living room floor. Lol
My Mamaw an Papaw had a little 12" tv they use to watch wrasslin on.
We would go over on Sat or Sunday evening an eat with them and alwaysxwatch wrasslin.
They were a hoot hollerin at the tv :heh: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom