• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

High blood pressure and Brazilian snake venom

Keto is murderuous to kidney function but it is a heck of a good start. But don’t dive into any diet, pick one thing and replace it. No more bread, now it’s brown rice. No more sweet tea, now it’s grapefruit juice

"Not good and sticking to what will keep me alive"

Well then go ahead and die.

Seems harsh but there is no miracle cure for blood pressure so people can be 500 pounds and have perfect BP but for guys like you and me it can be high even at our good weight.

Option 1 eat like you want and die early

Option 2 do what it takes to have a long healthy life.

What helped me loose weight and quit jamming food down my gullet is constantly reminding my self food is only to keep me alive. Eating is not a past time food is does not make you feel good about yourself you cant eat feelings and if there is food left over on your plate it's ok you dont need it. I'm down 65 pounds over the last year to year and a half and refuse to weight 248 lbs again ever in my life
Nothing worse than an ex smoker or successful dieter...you don't know my situation but you say go ahead and die? You first.

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/come-on-down-lets-play-whos-a-dude.1977214/
https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/you-think-there-are-mostly-chick-forums-that.1892556/

Above don't sound like disciplined skinny guy threads to me...you lose that weight last week?

Keto is murderuous to kidney function but it is a heck of a good start. But don’t dive into any diet, pick one thing and replace it. No more bread, now it’s brown rice. No more sweet tea, now it’s grapefruit juice
I'm thinking about trying the opposite...keto/atkins for a couple of weeks to get started and transitioning into South Beach for long term/lifestyle.

I'm thinking about trying the opposite...keto/atkins for a couple of weeks to get started and transitioning into South Beach for long term/lifestyle.

I like this approach because the south beach diet will feel like a reward after a couple weeks of Atkins.

Looking for advice here. My blood pressure is way too high. Last night my readings ranged from 206/108 to 161/95. I am 63 yrs old, 6'2" 255 lbs. I'm 40 to 50 lbs overweight and I know it. I was on Lisenopril and another bp medicine until about a year ago. While I was on this medication I was constantly sick...upper respiratory infections and borderline pneumonia all the time.
I stopped the medication and haven't been sick since. But my bp is too high.
I know that if I exercise and go on low carb diet that my bp will go down. It has before. But I am not too good at sticking with that...no excuses but its a fact. I am under LOTS of stress with several issues that I won't go into here...but it's constant stress and has been there for a couple of years now.
What I am wondering is if the ads I see on Facebook about "The Blood Pressure Solution" are worth investigating...or what other natural foods/supplements will help lower my bp.
I'm worried...my dad died at 65 with heart/stroke issues.
Any sincere help appreciated. Snarky, smart-ass commenters can go to hell.

I guess I lost my post due to shut down, but I have been on Ramipril 5 mg, generic name, for at least 30 years and no problem and have had COPD for 25 years controlled by Advair and or Symbicort. I would suggest checking with your doctor and telling him the problems you had with that bp med and asking if he can't give you something else to try. Ramipril is tried and true. I am 85 and like I said been on it over 30 years. Should be no problem getting a med that works for you without side effects.

Lots of good advice here, but the first and easiest thing to do is to cut all excess salt out of your diet. Throw the salt shaker away along with any salt you have for cooking. Yes, your food will taste bland initially, but you get used to it and food starts to taste better again. Also, make sure you aren't drinking a lot of salt. Sport drinks are loaded with it.

Reduce caffeine intake. Stimulants raise blood pressure. I drink one (large) cup of caffeinated coffee in the morning. Got to have that just to get the motor running. I don't drink anything else with caffeine and don't drink anything at all with sugar in it. Liquid calories are the easiest calories to get rid of.

Have a glass or two of red wine daily. The chemical compounds in it are great for you in several different ways, it's reasonably low in calories and the mild buzz helps to relax you. Which helps reduce blood pressure.

Can you elaborate a little?
Sorry, was out on a meet.
https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-2626/losartan-hydrochlorothiazide-oral/details

Losartan is a newer BP drug. It was recommended to me by a large Cardio-Genetic practice in Atlanta. My first wife died from raptured aorta, my little girl had issues with blood vessel walls. Losartan lowers risk of a blown aorta, targeting those particular genetic issues.
My BP was hitting 170. Started just with Losartan, it lowered BP substantially, but not enough. Diuretic helps to flush extra water and salt out of the body. High salt WILL raise BP. Extra fluid will raise BP.
I have not experienced any side effects from Losartan, other than peeing more often.

We do not add salt when cooking now (kids and wife add some salt directly to their plates, I almost never), I eat reduced sodium chips only, eat salads lunch and dinner, reduced carbs. Wife and I eliminated almost all sweets (I eat dark chocolate, occasionally) Wife and I started to lose weight, my BP is 126-128 over 70-65.
I am 50, 6ft, formerly 225 lbs, now 220lbs.

Keto is murderuous to kidney function

Got any science to back that up?

Been Keto for 18 months. Had a kidney workup a few months ago. Absolutely normal.

My mother-in-law does Keto as well. She had been in a spiral of declining kidney health before starting. Her doctor is thrilled with her progress. Kidney function has improved substantially, along with her weight loss, improvement in COPD, and reduced joint swelling.

Back
Top Bottom