• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

High mileage motor oil

StuP

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
So, who uses it ? I've got an 02 5.3 Tahoe, burns a bit of oil, 175k on the motor, runs ok. Would you use one of the 'high mileage' oils, or just whatever's to hand ?

So, who uses it ? I've got an 02 5.3 Tahoe, burns a bit of oil, 175k on the motor, runs ok. Would you use one of the 'high mileage' oils, or just whatever's to hand ?

I have an 04 Yukon with 300k on it. Never ran the high mileage stuff and mine burns about a quart every 5000 miles. Which is when I change it with whatever Walmart has on sale.

Is it burning oil or just leaking out the valve cover like every other Chevy motor made?

I have switched to Rotella T4 on everything I have, that includes 2 motors with well over 200,000 miles.

I don't know where it's going, I haven't really looked. I like Rotella, used it with no problems in a 6L LS2 and a 502. Might go with that.

meh, its just the viscosity rating

I never use that Lucas heavy duty stabilizer for instance in a 4cylinder or what not, meant for racing engines with looser tolerance not kia 4 cylinders IMO

that said, if you use 5w-20 you can go up to 5w-30 if your vehicle is running more than 140Kmiles

its a preference thing. as long as it is being changed regularly (and while you are at it, check the air filters and battery while you are at it) I just go with the manufacturer's specs, high mileage seems like you are paying a dollar more for the same stuff (5w-20HimI = 5w-30)

I use it in my 100xxx miles Veracruz. I like QS Defy. It has more zinc in it than SAE N raiting, good for older engines and flat cams.
HM oils also have more seal plasticizers in them, to restore flexibility to older seals. For those who say it is the same as regular oil, look at VOA of 5w-30 regular and HM oils and then tell me how it is the same.
OP I would do an oil change with LubroMoly's Oil Saver and regular oil and then switch to HM oil.

I've never been a big believer in additives, but maybe I need to research a bit further.
Neither have I. But Lubro Moly's additives have to pass a very stringent exam in Germany by a government truth-in-advertising board before they can make their claims.
I used to hang out on BITOG for years, as a result of it, I only use LubroMoly in oil and Marvel Mystery Oil in every gas tank and to slow clean up engines in new to me cars.
Overnight soak in MMO is the best way to free up the stuck piston rings, BTW, other than opening up the engine.

Back
Top Bottom