• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hikers Companion Pistol?

I was thinking of the LCR-X in .38 spl +P,
which weighs 15.7 oz.

There *IS* a .357 mag version, but it's 21.3 oz,
and considerably more expensive, too.

357 snake shot holds a lot more pellets though, and as a defensive round it beats 38spl hollow. You could actually use it against a bear with the right bullets if needed. I can't see 5oz being a big deal, and as that bear is charging you I doubt you'll be saying "but at least I saved $100".

75F7D229-47D7-4D05-AD6E-658AA69CD0F0.jpeg
Glock 48

Well,
It's looking more and more like a revolver will be the choice:
simple to operate (and this will be a double action only (DAO) revolver so it will even be simpler. For example, she can't thumb cock it and then find she has to de-cock it with a live round ready to fire.)

S&W .38 spl snubby revolvers have decent triggers, better than Rossi, Taurus, or Charter Arms. Yet you can still find a good deal on the guns, around $350-$425. They are about a hundred bucks cheaper than similar caliber semi-autos, and they're 1/3 the price of "the ideal revolver" which would probably come from the Smith & Wesson Performance Center.

So, this lady's hiking and backpacking companion will probably be something like the Smith and Wesson 642 double action only, alloy framed pistol that only weighs 15 ounces empty.

Yeah, the sights suck. And the barrel is short. It will only be effective for hitting a target within 20 feet of her. Oh, Well. That's how the cookie crumbles.
FAE708D5-9885-49ED-A46C-40F0873A099A.jpeg
Having a gun like this is better than not having any gun at all.

What's a light weight, but not tiny sized, centerfire pistol suitable to carry for defense against wild animals, feral or rabid dogs, wolves or mountain lions?
Gun MUST be light... when hiking 10 miles up and down hills, every ounce counts.
Gun need not be small... it should have a decently long barrel and sight radius.

No snubby revolvers.

No pistols weighing 30 oz. or more.
16 oz would be nice.

What's on the market that fits these criteria?
Glock 29. 10mm in a package about the size of a G19.

I still think that LCR is a much better choice if you're going down the lightweight revolver route. It's got a much better trigger than the Smith you show, real sights you can upgrade, the choice of a snubby or 3" barrel, and the option of DAO or SA/DA.

It'll also hold up to water and sweat a lot better than even a stainless gun will, and be lighter to boot.

When I used to hike I carried a 2.5 inch 686 .357 but it was HEAVY.
I would go with a Glock 20 with 6 rds in the mag now
I carried that pistol many miles and only once was I ever glad I had it and didn't use it then. A big boar bear spent the entire night near my tent, He even touched his nose to my head as he sniffed me and woke me up. That was one weird bear.

Well,
It's looking more and more like a revolver will be the choice:
simple to operate (and this will be a double action only (DAO) revolver so it will even be simpler. For example, she can't thumb cock it and then find she has to de-cock it with a live round ready to fire.)

S&W .38 spl snubby revolvers have decent triggers, better than Rossi, Taurus, or Charter Arms. Yet you can still find a good deal on the guns, around $350-$425. They are about a hundred bucks cheaper than similar caliber semi-autos, and they're 1/3 the price of "the ideal revolver" which would probably come from the Smith & Wesson Performance Center.

So, this lady's hiking and backpacking companion will probably be something like the Smith and Wesson 642 double action only, alloy framed pistol that only weighs 15 ounces empty.

Yeah, the sights suck. And the barrel is short. It will only be effective for hitting a target within 20 feet of her. Oh, Well. That's how the cookie crumbles.
View attachment 3275075 Having a gun like this is better than not having any gun at all.

If that's what you want, you should consider the Model 38 or 638. The trigger pull on the shrouded revolvers is substantially better that on enclosed hammer models, and you still have SA capability.

...really depends on where im hiking. .
By a lot of people my 9mm sig 365 xl
By large animals and a lot of brush my Tarsus 44 special
Hiking and hunking my sw 19 6in barrel 357

Back
Top Bottom