• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hikers Companion Pistol?

The .44 mag could be loaded with .44 specials, which would have more power than most calibers we're looking at anyway. Ditto with .357 revolvers-- in a light weight gun, I'd recommend only the last-to-fire chamber in the cylinder actually get a full magnum load. The first 4 chambers ought to have .38 spl rounds in them.
(Again, this is for a woman with little handgun shooting experience who WILL NOT take the time or effort, or spend the money, to get training and then practice, practice, practice.)

(Which also means that for her, the ammo COST is meaningless. If the gun used cartridges that cost $3 per round, nobody would really care, because a box of 50 would last her a decade, possibly a lifetime.)

The closest thing I'm seeing to the ideal handgun for her would be a Glock 42 or a S&W Shield EZ 380, but if those had the barrel just one inch longer, and that much more sight radius, they'd be better for open carry in a hip holster. The Glock 42 comes in a pretty color, Tiffany Blue, and that's a plus. But it's an expensive little thing.
And, with all small semi-autos, there's the possibility of limp-wristing and her causing a malfunction that way. So I guess the "ideal" handgun would still have to be a revolver, probably a DAO one (for simplicity in the manual-of-arms), in a modest centerfire caliber, but this revolver would, ideally, have:

1.) A small frame size, like S&W I-frame or J-frame.
2.) An alloy frame, maybe even an alloy (titanium or scandium) cylinder, and perhaps a steel barrel liner (bore) housed within an aluminum alloy outer barrel sleeve.
3.) A smooth DA trigger pull of not more than 6 lbs.
4.) Big sights, with a HUGE notch in the rear sight, and colored inserts in the sights.
5.) Low light capability on the sights: Light-gathering fiber optic, or tritium capsules, etc.
6.) Barrel to be 3" to 4" long for good instinctive pointing, better handling during rapid fire, and better sight radius for those well-aimed shots.

Thinking of a lower cost hiking gun for a first time buyer which is lightweight and in .44 special, the only revolver to come to mind would be a Charter Arms Bulldog. IIRC, you can get them in a 3 inch barrel which is not much but better than 2 inches. It's relatively light and not too expensive. Since I have never owned one or fired one, I can't speak from experience. I know quality can vary depending if you buy an older one say versus a newly made one.

I can speak from experience.

A suitable gun for an experienced shooter, a novice shooter in a panic situation would probably drop it after the first shot. The recoil is "significant."

Well if they are that rare and delicate of a flower,maybe they dont need to be doing any kind of hiking outdoors...especially alone...where a big bad wolf can come knocking at the door...jeez.... dropping a gun with 44 special recoil .....I think not

Why wouldn't a g19 or something fit the bill?

G29 or G32, something along those lines.

Honestly though, I would not feel uncomfortable with any 9mm. If you actually see a black bear or mountain lion, chances are it will be their backsides as they are running away from you.

Glock 32 is my go to hiking gun. 28-30 oz loaded with 13 rounds of strong 357 sig medicine. Good bonded ammo would preform well for defense against dangerous animals up close and personal.

Back
Top Bottom