• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hikers Companion Pistol?

I have 2 Charter bulldogs ,one classic and one on duty model with shrouded hammer. I also have a model 69 with 2.75 inch barrel. They are all fine revolvers! The Charters will have to have have their front sight filed down because they're too high and will shoot low, both of mine shot 6 inches low.
Once you file and sight and repeat until it's right then you have a great light weight and deadly accurate revolver!
My on duty is perhaps the best big bore carry gun I've ever had!
At 35 feet you will place them all in the orange with one hand, left or right. My model 69 doesn't get much love at all sadly.

Hikers companion??????? Man I know guys that cut their toothbrush in half to conserve weight. I assume we are talking about day hikers not through hikers. If you ever want to pick up a ton of free outdoors equipment just hike the first few days of the AT from springer Mt. It looks like a sporting goods store from what everyone ditches.

The problem with revolvers is threefold:
Number one --they don't normally come in a combination of a small frame size but a decently long barrel for good accuracy (point-ability) and less muzzle flip.
Secondly, the only small frame revolvers that have an alloy or polymer frame for light weight tend to be snubbies which are hard to shoot, especially for an inexperienced woman. Snubby revolvers generally have long heavy trigger pulls that are twice the weight of a similarly sized semi automatic pistol.

Third, most fixed-sight revolvers have sights that are terrible for fast defensive shooting at 5-10 yards.

I'm thinking that the best gun would be a Smith & Wesson M&P shield 380 EZ,
which only weighs 18 ounces empty has a very light trigger pull (really a single action trigger, not a DA or striker fired "safe action").
It should be easy to carry easy to shoot well, and comfortable to shoot such that she will not hate practicing with it.
B6960354-C256-4F01-ABAA-3CC23881C882.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom