• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

History of the M-14

Lol!

Okay, how many EBRs did your common-core math come up with?

What mods?
The ammunition was off the shelf.
The few barrels that were changed were also off the shelf & inexpensive.
What receivers?
Optics were part of the package.
Flash hiders were vintage, or inexpensive aftermarket suppressor ready items.
Only a handful used suppressors.
What trigger mods?

I have already provided you a link detailing the program, developments and upgrade. You have provided exactly nothing but conjecture. There were over 8K rifles developed from the program, in just EBR-RIs, M39s MOD 0s, and MOD 1s alone there are more than 8K rifles built, but the per unit cost of each rifle does not have the total cost of the program built in. Your lack of understanding govt contracting and procurement, the cost associated with R&R as well as T&E is the problem here. I have provided you with the links. As I stated earlier I get it, you like the M14. It is a good rifle, it isn't a great rifle and like putting racing tires on a Prius doesn't make it a race car, likewise dropping the M14 into an over priced stock doesn't make it a great rifle either.

If you would like a lesson on how much our govt over pays for stuff dig around here for awhile. https://www.fbo.gov/
Good day to you sir.

Your lack of supporting evidence is the problem here.
It's been nice chatting with you, but I'm bored with your lack of proof.

Your the one that hasn't even provided a single link supporting your conjecture. Besides I already said good day sir.

IMG_0149.JPG

I neglected the Coast Guard EBRs, the the grand total is something like 9275 - no offense if you are CG. Still no where near enough to support the claim by one person of 'millions spent on R&D', the M14 modernization program operated on a minimalist budget.

As I said, it's a shame that the rules of National Match competition keep the wealth of real world improvements in M14 accuracy & reliability with the EBR that have been proven on the two way range out of competition. I think the troops that actually used the M14EBR-RI in combat did some amazing work with the rifles issued to them, I'd like to see them compete head to head with retro NM M14 rifles in NM competitions.

I neglected the Coast Guard EBRs, the the grand total is something like 9275 - no offense if you are CG. Still no where near enough to support the claim by one person of 'millions spent on R&D', the M14 modernization program operated on a minimalist budget.

As I said, it's a shame that the rules of National Match competition keep the wealth of real world improvements in M14 accuracy & reliability with the EBR that have been proven on the two way range out of competition. I think the troops that actually used the M14EBR-RI in combat did some amazing work with the rifles issued to them, I'd like to see them compete head to head with retro NM M14 rifles in NM competitions.

You are like a broken record.
Lol. It doesn't matter if the production totaled 1 or 100,000. That per unit cost has zero, that is the absolute sum of nothing, to do with actual program costs. In order to "enhance" the M14 there were multiple programs spanning all branches of the military, involving dozens of companies, for over 12 years. All of those upgrades, proposed, tested, accepted, sent back for reevaluation, cost money. Real ****ing money. These were programs over seen by CRANE NSWC and TACOM at Rock Island Arsenal among others and involved hundreds of contractors and soldiers in various roles to bring the EBR online. It wasn't just some guy named bob sitting at a desk in a dusty back room envisioning what he wanted a DMR rifle to be and then selecting off the shelf stuff to throw on to M14s in storage. I realize it is bothersome to you that your beloved rifle even with all kinds of combined R&D still wasn't a great rifle but that is the reality. It was outclassed before it even entered service. Now run along and talk about how great of a completion rifle it will make in a competion against it's self with other like minded types.

I don't understand your emotional responses, but I have to ask again - what R&D that cost millions are you talking about? You seem to be over thinking it, the program was never as big & involved as you say... you should recall that the early EBR program had very little support until years later when the TACOM project got funded. My source for this includes personal face-to-face conversations with the man that designed the SAGE EBR, key people at Crane, SEI, and RI.

Again I have provided detailed info via outside sources that explain the size, scope, and parties involved in development. Again, you have provided zip, zero, nada. Just more conjecture. Prove that it didn't cost millions. You can't because you don't know. You are just a butt hurt fanboi upset that I said your favorite rifle wasn't great.

Back
Top Bottom