Hobby small electronics guy?

Construct More Pylons

Default rank <3000 posts
Pickle Gang / Whisper Pickle Enthusiast
Firearms/Accessories Dealer
55   0
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am trying to build a gun show alarm and am running into an issue. The goal is to have something connected to RCA cables, where a siren will go off if a cable is cut / unplugged. And I want to power it off of a 9v battery and have it switch activated to turn off and on. So far this is my shopping list (see below). Do I need some kind of DC relay? If so what would you recommend (bonus points for a cheap one on amazon).

Feel like you're overthinking it. Just get something similar that IS available like a standalone door alarm and wire an RCA cable jack in place of the switch.

Hey guys!

I am trying to build a gun show alarm and am running into an issue. The goal is to have something connected to RCA cables, where a siren will go off if a cable is cut / unplugged. And I want to power it off of a 9v battery and have it switch activated to turn off and on. So far this is my shopping list (see below). Do I need some kind of DC relay? If so what would you recommend (bonus points for a cheap one on amazon).
The primary issue that you are going to run into is this - the piezo alarm works when power is applied, but you need the piezo to work when the cable / power is disconnected...not applied.

1.) I would add a double-pole/double-throw relay - the coil voltage of the relay (12 vdc) would be applied through the RCA cables constantly.
2.) The common of the relay would would be wetted with 12vdc, and the (+) power wire to the piezo would be attached to the normally-open contact.
3.) The 12vdc(-) would tie straight from the power source to the negative lead on the piezo.
4.) If all possible, I would ditch the batteries for a power supply - Power Supply. If you think that readily available power is going to be an issue, you should look into alarm system batteries for homes - Battery.
5.) The rocker switches would need to break the power between the battery and the relay coil.

Not trying to commandeer your plan, just a couple of thoughts. Let me know if you have any questions...

Treat it like an e-stop circuit.
The plugs keep voltage from the relay unless removed, turning on the relay transferring voltage to the horn, until plugged back in.
Crude, but effective.

1652618170930.png

This is created using a freebie app on the Digi-Key electronics website. Just an FYI.

Treat it like an e-stop circuit.
The plugs keep voltage from the relay unless removed, turning on the relay transferring voltage to the horn, until plugged back in.
Crude, but effective.

View attachment 4290800
This is created using a freebie app on the Digi-Key electronics website. Just an FYI.
How would a plug stop the flow of electricity, unless it was disconnected? Voltage would have to applied to the relay coil to change the state of the relay, so wouldn't the voltage need to be continuous to the coil of the relay with the piezo feed on the N/O contact of the relay.

In an E-stop circuit, the 'stop' functionality is provided by breaking the flow of electricity - that would definitely turn a load OFF but in this case, the OP is trying to turn a load ON upon loss of voltage flow. Not being a smart-ass, am I missing something?

Back
Top Bottom