• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hobbyist Machining Advice

I agree don’t get the combo. You will need both machines. I would get a manual mill with DRO and power feeds and if you got the money one with Proto Trax. That way when you get better you can utilize the conversational programming. They are VERY sweet and you can do some really nice things on a manual mill. Wait till you start buying all the quality tooling, gauging equipment and ALL the measuring instruments. It’s never ending. I wouldn’t look at a mill or lathes without a DRO, but you can add them. GOOD LUCK….

Dont get a combo machine. If you’re going to invest any money into the trade/hobby, buy a lathe and a mill sized for your needs. A lathe will actually do mill work if you’re crafty enough. Size your lathe for the work you want to do. Then buy a bigger one.

Do not get a combo. They suck.

Both are extremely handy to have. Hard to say which you will need first. You obviously will need both. I work with lathes and mills every single day. Good quality equipment is hard to beat.
Any thoughts on the littlemachineshop machines? I've also looked at the precision matthews, but they're a little high for my budget once you look at tooling and measuring.

I'd say about 2k per machine. Not counting additional equipment. Tos tart off with they would go in the one car garage side.

2k per machine is going to put you into used. Very well used. We have some precision matthews stuff at work and they are nice for lower end stuff. I think they were around 10k each….. for just the machine.

We have a small lathe from grizzly that’s not bad for aluminum. Not super rigid. Added the DRO for about $600. Probably have close to 5k in it.

Attachments

• 1B32A67B-B6EC-415C-9A98-A675A2869719.jpeg
    1B32A67B-B6EC-415C-9A98-A675A2869719.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 13
Do not buy based on price for either. Get a good quality used machine. I would also suggest a lather first. Good luck!
I mean, I do get the sentiment. And I agree, but at the same time price will always play a part. I just can't justify dropping 3-5k for a machine just to realize in 6 months that machining/gunsmithing jsut isn't my thing. I've done that too many times where I go all in then end up selling everything. I'd rather purchase a benchtop for a couple grand then upgrade if it's something I can see myself doing for a long time.

And I'm not against used, I just can't find anything anywhere nearby even close to the budget. Unless it's a giant rust bucket.

Back
Top Bottom