• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hobbyist Machining Advice

wnchstrtnfldvlle

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
70   0
Reaction score
A little context.
I start the SDI gunsmithing course this month, and while diving down the youtube rabbit hole I started watching the Ultimate Reloader channel. Which led to his machining videos.
So my question for the machinists out there: Which do you think I should buy first to start learning skills, a lathe or a mill? Not necessarily which would be better for gunsmithing, but just machining in general. Just to start learning basic skills at the hobbyist level. I have no personal experience with either, other than high school shop over 20 years ago.

I was thinking the mill first, since I will have to mill out a receiver blank for the program in the next few months. But that could also be done with a cheap drill press. So not really a necessity to get the mill first. Also, getting the lathe first would allow me to make things for the mill when needed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Either would do but I think starting with a lathe you learn more about setting up and indicating everything a few different ways. Don’t start on a DRO do the math and read the dials learn the basics first. If your waiting to figure out which one start buying tooling, indicators, calipers and learning to grind and sharpen your own. If there’s nobody to mentor you or help around I’d really look at entry machine classes at a local tech school as well.

If you have the option go take a machining class at a tech school. What seperates butchers from Smiths is ability to machine well
I agree, and I plan to look into that in the future. I've got about 8 months of classes with SDI before graduating the certificate program. Not enough time to do both with work and family.

My idea was to look at entry level machines, and just start playing around on them. Maybe try a few small projects for fun. See if it's even something that after the 6 month period I'll still be interested in. If it's still a passion in a year or so I can upgrade and really start the process of getting up and running.

I agree, and I plan to look into that in the future. I've got about 8 months of classes with SDI before graduating the certificate program. Not enough time to do both with work and family.

My idea was to look at entry level machines, and just start playing around on them. Maybe try a few small projects for fun. See if it's even something that after the 6 month period I'll still be interested in. If it's still a passion in a year or so I can upgrade and really start the process of getting up and running.
You can search machinist class projects on youtube for simple projects that teach foundational skills.
Imo of you get a lathe and can turn metric and english threads on barrels people wont leave you alone as far as work goes. I say the because so many people want to sbr ak's or thread bolt guns for a can ect

Do not get a combo. They suck.

Both are extremely handy to have. Hard to say which you will need first. You obviously will need both. I work with lathes and mills every single day. Good quality equipment is hard to beat.

Get a lathe first. A good lathe is usually a lot less expensive than a good mill and plenty to be learned that can be carried over to the mill later. If cost is not a concern, get both. I would not get a combo set and don't bother with a cheap tabletop mill.

Back
Top Bottom