• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hodgdon Universal Powder

Chuckdog

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
11   0
Reaction score
I posted in another thread about trying the Universal powder as a cleaner alternative to Unique in my 45 ACP loads. I've been using HP 38 for several years now, with excellent results. But while browsing some other forums I kept reading about Universal so I decided to give it a try. While I failed to take my chronograph with me, I would like to start by saying this stuff is great. The first good aspect of this powder is case fill. A double charge will jump out at you. The powder is coarse compared to HP 38, but nothing like Unique as I remember being flakey. It meters great through my Lee Auto Disk measure. It's a mid velocity powder in the 45 and most others I've looked at. If your looking for top speed look elsewhere. As for accuracy, it shoots great in the two 1911 pistols I took with me. Neither of them showed any loss in accuracy compared with the HP 38 powered rounds I was comparing them with. As for cleanliness, another A+ rating. Most anything smokes with cast bullets, but it was unnoticeable the day i went. My pistols cleaned up easily, and when looking in the mirror, I wasn't covered with powder as was the norm with Unique. I suspect this powder won't be as cost effective as HP 38, but I like the fact it fills the case better than the HP 38. I think I have a winner for a very good, clean burning, good metering replacement for my old Unique loads. If you haven't already, give it a try.

Thanks for the report. I saw you're other post and was wondering when we would hear something. I currently use Bullseye for my .45 but I'd like to try anything that would be cleaner. I don't try to load hot so this sounds like a good fit.

Thanks, I am just getting back into reloading... it would be good to start with a proven good powder..... Thanks Again

Back
Top Bottom