• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hog gets shot many, many times and hog doesn't like it...

I'm wondering where you got the idea I believe these hogs should not be eliminated? Where is there anything in this thread that says they should be treated like game animals, unless you think only game animals are due a humane death.

I don't know if you want them eliminated or not. I responded to your comment suggesting that hunters are leaving hogs to just die in agony because you don't approve of their eradication methods. Here I'll put your quote up again. "It seems that a hit anywhere on the animal is now acceptable as long as the pig goes down with basically zero concern about following up to properly finish them."

I'll point this out, too. If these hogs are such a burden to the land owners, where are all of the Texas landowners that have opened their property for hunters to come in and kill these hogs en mass free of charge? If you can find one I'll be happy to make a trip and help them out. They would rather suffer the damage to their crops so they can make a buck off hunting instead of solving the problem. The hog population on public land in Texas is much more under control because it is open for hunting by the general public. The primary reason hog populations are out of control there is due to the practices of the land owners themselves. So they can cry me a river, but until they allow more hunting on their lands I have little sympathy for them.

I don't disagree with this. It happens fairly often, and I'm guessing they also get government assistance from our tax dollars. Which is another reason these hogs need to be eradicated.

QUOTE: Again it's not hunting. This is depredation of a non-native species that is doing billions of dollars in damage each year.

Yeah, good point on that. Still, even professional wildlife control people who can kill nuisance animals must do so under the most humane circumstances that are practical in the field. The same for property owners and farmers and ranchers here in Georgia, I believe. Even animals you can kill, you must try to kill humanely.

And in the OP, in the killing that is the subject of this thread, it's clear that the hog-killer was NOT busy eradicating other hogs while this one suffered. He just filmed it for a long time because apparently after being shot several times, the hog impressed the shooter with its will to live. So the shooter let it thrash for minutes. Far too long.

I killed some rats. They would walk around the barnyard hemorrhaging from the poison that I fed them until they died.:shocked:

RLM

Most go down immediately with a shot to the head with pretty much anything. Broadside, it can be a different story if you try to aim where you shoot a deer. The vitals are lower in the shoulder. I have had one take a .308 Subsonic in the head @100 yards and tote it off. If you arent head shooting them, they are tough and seem almost completely immune to pain, so until you drain it out, or shut the brain off, he will run off with multiple rounds in him.

Of note, unless you damage the brain or spine, there is no such thing as bang flops on hogs, or deer for that matter. It doesn't exist....in the truest sense. What actually happens with your broadside shot that appears to kill animals dead right there is that you disrupt the CNS via shock and the animal is knocked out cold, then he bleeds out or the organs stop functioning before he wakes up. This is why sometimes you get a bang-flop and then a few minutes later, he jumps up and takes off.

The guy can't shoot worth a damn, but that's not the disturbing part of the video. It's the part where he doesn't even try to finish it for a very long time. Not being a good shot is somewhat unethical, but it is what it is. However, just standing there after the hog was down and having no thought of ending it is where this guy shows his true lack of ethics.
Shots on fast-moving targets are hard; I'm a good shot, but make poor ones on moving targets. Shooting skeet these days to try to rectify that. But you are right sir-- you put it out of its misery immediately. Reminds me of those idiots "filming" accidents and injuries with cell phones. Help, dammit. But I'm not a millennial... video is an afterthought for me.

If I ever manage to arrange a hog hunt, it'll be with an AR10, or in the daytime-- a 375 H&H or .45-70. I've seen what big herbivores can absorb-- no way am I going up against a known dangerous animal with a little bitty bullet. Probably overkill, but it's always overkill right up until it isn't. Some countries won't let you hunt 100 lb. leopards with less than a .375. I do think that is overkill, but again, right up until it isn't. (.375 H&H is the problem-solver-- I highly recommend it. It works, period.)

I've watched this multiple times. The guy is lucky the hog stopped when it did. I do not understand why he just stands there and doesn't finish the hog while it rolls around in the mud right in front of him. Really a dick move to not dispatch the animal immediately, instead of talking for the camera.

Wild hogs are a bad nuisance. I've killed several of them and always with my .270 BAR. Put it right behind the ear and they will die quickly. Make a bad shot and things can turn any number of ways. A friend of mine was chased up a tree by a 300# hog after making a bad shot. He was lucky that he held onto his rifle. His next shot was not bad.

I shot a 250# hog while it was running. It was a bad shot and he ran into the brush. I made a conscience decision to look for the thing, but I did not go straight into the brush after him. Suffering or not, I was not going in there. I semi-circled around the area and continued to close in ever so slightly until I saw him at around 40 yards trying to drag himself under cover. I finished him with my next shot to the head and that was that. I felt bad for not killing him with the first shot, but felt better for finding him and finishing him. Most wouldn't have even done that.

Back
Top Bottom