• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hog hunt 26-28 August 2022, After Action Review (AAR)

bulletslinger101

Default rank <4000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
35   0
Reaction score
Good evening fellow hog hunters. This weekend I went out to Hannahatchee WMA with FreedomUSMC FreedomUSMC and thendricks thendricks .

26 August 2022: thendricks and I got in Friday afternoon and hunted that evening down in the bottoms roughly 700-800 yards (power lines that go from the campsite are over the bottom to the opposite side) from the camp site.

We broke some serious overgrowth and finally got into the bottom. It opened up quite nicely in most areas perfect for wallows and bedding down (which was very much so present). We decided to walk that bottom roughly a mile or so and got into some beautiful areas with recent tracks animals .

Making our way through we thought we’d see hogs.. Tons of mud rubs on trees that were fresh however, we didn’t see anything.

27 August 2022: thendricks, FreedomUSMC & I all went out together to the Creek / swamp areas in the WMA. We thought for sure we’d see some hog….

We saw nothing in the AM. We then decided to walk back to camp and grab some chow. It was crazy humid in the swamp under the Canopy. We certainly needed a short break to recharge ha ha.

Shortly after we ate lunch thendricks had to roll out to head home. thendricks thendricks , thank you much for coming buddy. Can’t wait for more hints in the future. A few hours later FreedomUSMC and I went back out in hopes of seeing something….

We went a few other areas and once again we saw no hogs…. Pretty bummed. We headed back to camp and had really good talks about each others backgrounds and Mil story time. It was awesome! FreedomUSMC FreedomUSMC ks one hell of a guy and a great person to be around!

28 August 2022

After getting up in camp we decided to take some drives. We wanted to get out on some other trails that were toward the back and center of the WMA. After devaluing a few areas and looking for fresh tracks (HOG), we decided to drive into Columbus and grab breakfast then part ways and head back to our respective homes.

FreedomUSMC FreedomUSMC , thanks for coming out buddy! It was great to need another Marine!

Does anyone have any experiences hunting hogs in WMA’s they are willing to share to hopefully put us on a few? I know Benning is loaded with them which is why I’d like to stay closer to the area and the WMA’s around it however, I am willing to drive to link up with folks for a successful downed pork hunt.

If your a hunter that can or willing to link up that’s got experiences putting Hogs down in WMA’s please holler. Would love to link up.

Respectfully
Chris

Chris in aug I would try to find the food source,it’s so hot I would think they not traveling much at all.good luck and just keep pounding you will cross paths.

During the summer you have to find fresh water sources and food. They won’t move much during the morning or day. Evening they’ll start waking up and then will get more active through out the night.

I would find a fresh water source, bait the hell out of it, give it a day or two and go back to that spot in the evening.

During the summer you have to find fresh water sources and food. They won’t move much during the morning or day. Evening they’ll start waking up and then will get more active through out the night.

I would find a fresh water source, bait the hell out of it, give it a day or two and go back to that spot in the evening.

Yeah, we walked multiple water sources and found plenty bedding but no hogs. Rules say “no baiting” but I’m sure people do it. We didn’t though. There weren’t much fresh tracks. We walked a bit over 4.3 miles, got rained on, snakes, giant spiders, and hills. Lol

CE4E19CC-4582-4B69-88FF-E26D166D4B37.jpeg

B7B60D87-909C-493F-8E08-ED8F840B011E.png

Good evening fellow hog hunters. This weekend I went out to Hannahatchee WMA with FreedomUSMC FreedomUSMC and thendricks thendricks .

26 August 2022: thendricks and I got in Friday afternoon and hunted that evening down in the bottoms roughly 700-800 yards (power lines that go from the campsite are over the bottom to the opposite side) from the camp site.

We broke some serious overgrowth and finally got into the bottom. It opened up quite nicely in most areas perfect for wallows and bedding down (which was very much so present). We decided to walk that bottom roughly a mile or so and got into some beautiful areas with recent tracks animals .

Making our way through we thought we’d see hogs.. Tons of mud rubs on trees that were fresh however, we didn’t see anything.

27 August 2022: thendricks, FreedomUSMC & I all went out together to the Creek / swamp areas in the WMA. We thought for sure we’d see some hog….

We saw nothing in the AM. We then decided to walk back to camp and grab some chow. It was crazy humid in the swamp under the Canopy. We certainly needed a short break to recharge ha ha.

Shortly after we ate lunch thendricks had to roll out to head home. thendricks thendricks , thank you much for coming buddy. Can’t wait for more hints in the future. A few hours later FreedomUSMC and I went back out in hopes of seeing something….

We went a few other areas and once again we saw no hogs…. Pretty bummed. We headed back to camp and had really good talks about each others backgrounds and Mil story time. It was awesome! FreedomUSMC FreedomUSMC ks one hell of a guy and a great person to be around!

28 August 2022

After getting up in camp we decided to take some drives. We wanted to get out on some other trails that were toward the back and center of the WMA. After devaluing a few areas and looking for fresh tracks (HOG), we decided to drive into Columbus and grab breakfast then part ways and head back to our respective homes.

FreedomUSMC FreedomUSMC , thanks for coming out buddy! It was great to need another Marine!

Does anyone have any experiences hunting hogs in WMA’s they are willing to share to hopefully put us on a few? I know Benning is loaded with them which is why I’d like to stay closer to the area and the WMA’s around it however, I am willing to drive to link up with folks for a successful downed pork hunt.

If your a hunter that can or willing to link up that’s got experiences putting Hogs down in WMA’s please holler. Would love to link up.

Respectfully
Chris

It was a pleasure, thanks for the invite. We’ll have to go back after a severe thunderstorm and catch them.

Guys. This was a beast of a hunt…. It was nasty under canopy in the wetlands. I’m thinking about hitting another WMA (Chatahoochi Fall Line) this weekend. start Friday mid-day through Saturday evening maybe stay through Sunday evening depending if we can get some folks to come beat some brush.

Anyone feel like getting out in the heat and Sweating your a$$es off
Brother, it was a great time. Fantastic photos!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom