• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hog hunt 26-28 August 2022, After Action Review (AAR)

Any ODT Farmers that have a hog problem?

Maybe make a new post to find farmers that will let us hunt their property. bulletslinger101 bulletslinger101
I have a few calls into GA DNR for their Private land agent Bureau. I am hoping to receive additional calls within the week looking to do just this. If I get bites, I'll certainly put up the info to see if we are able to get a group together.

Looks like a good time was had by all!

In my limited experience hunting public land pigs, putting the boot leather down is 9/10 of it. Once you get into an area with fresh sign, slow your pace way down, then start branching out into the areas surrounding the fresh sign that would serve as bedding. I won’t do this unless I’m on really fresh sign.
On one of the wma’s near me, the pigs were actually leaving the bottomland areas to bed on higher ground. We killed some bedding on the sides of ridges that overlooked the secondary draws. If it’s all flat ground, look for cane thickets, blowdowns, or small patches of high ground surrounded by sloughs/water.

Pigs dont sweat so they wallow and the evaporation process cools them. Bedding on ridges takes advantage of the thermals up in the morning down at night. First and foremost lots of leg work unless you hunt em with dogs which is a hole other ball game

Back
Top Bottom