• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hog Hunting with a 10/22

GDAWG1958

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
27   0
Reaction score
My cousin Tony has been after me to go Hog hunting with him, well,its small game season so you have to use,.22 cal or smaller or muzzle loader or bow.I only have my ruger 10/22 or bow,Tony has been using a 17hmr , and has killed 3 hogs, he said if you shoot them right behind the ear you can kill them ,ergo,the 3 he has killed. I have always heard about how dangerous hogs are,how hard they are to kill?? But I really wanted to do it so I went,we headed to Oaky Woods WMA on Friday morning,we saw all kind of sign everywhere,tracks everywhere,we hunted all day friday,NOTHING! we went back before daylight Saturday and decided we would go in the bush after them, (I did not feel comfortable doing this). This feeling was magnified while in the thick brush by the river bank when I stumbled onto holes(ruts) 4 ft. wide and 18 inches deep:eek2:,with nothing but my 10/22 and hunting knife to defend myself with. Well I guess the lord was looking out for me cause we heard some in the brush but could not get close to em. while driving back to Atlanta,my brother called me from LA. in the buyuo where he lives to tell me the story of his hog hunt the previous day, he shot a 180 pounder 3 times with a 12ga. 31/2 in mag double00 buck and still didnt kill it,had to cut its throat.
I told him we had been hunting em with 22Lr , he screamed " YOUR'E CRAZY!
Well after I got home I decided to read up on it:noidea:
I found this story in the GON web site and these pics; Needless to say ,I wont be doing that again;

Hog Attack!
This Jefferson County hog hunter lost 3 pints of blood after a boar repeatedly gored him with 4-inch tusks.

By Elizabeth Billips
Posted Wednesday July 29 2009, 3:35 PM

It was his last cartridge and his last hope. The 192-lb. wild boar had already gored Dr. Joseph “Larry” Jackson Sr. twice and had him right where it wanted him.

It had all happened in a whirlwind... the quick tremble of leaves in the thicket, the scrape of tusks and teeth against his rifle. Dr. Jackson chambered his last round, knowing a movement too quick would probably be his last. Blood was already puddling around him.

The hog locked its eyes on the downed physician and lowered its head to strike again.

The Fourth of July had actually started off nicely for the 64-year-old Waynesboro physician. It was just after sunrise when he and hunting buddy John “J.R.” Rountree spotted the big black hog inside a pasture at Old Town Plantation in Jefferson County.

Dr. Jackson took a 350-yard shot and heard the .243 bullet hit, but it missed the heart by an inch. The hog ran along a fence line and out of sight. J.R. went for the truck while Dr. Jackson took off through the pasture on foot.

Meanwhile, the bullet-hit hog was hunkered down in a thicket no bigger than a compact car. When the doctor came into sight, the boar charged Dr. Jackson.

“I fired from my hip and just missed,” Dr. Jackson recalled from the leather recliner in his living room. “He took my feet out from under me and was on top of me.”

The hog backed off and charged again, this time burying a tusk in the doctor’s arm. He used his Remington .243 as a club and managed to hold back the hog’s head as it drove into him again and again. A pair of binoculars blocked a blow to his gut.

“These saved me from having my belly ripped open,” he said, running a finger along scrapes above the lenses.

When the hog backed off again, he knew it was his last chance.

“I didn’t want to make any quick, sudden motions,” Dr. Jackson explained, remembering how the hog stared straight at him as he reloaded his rifle and eased the barrel around.

As the boar lowered his head to attack again, Dr. Jackson squeezed a point-blank shot into its chest.

“I never felt any pain, and I was never afraid,” he said. “I was just trying to fight for my life.”

As the boar went down, the doctor realized how badly he was hurt.

“I could see I was spurting blood, so I knew I had a problem,” he recalled.

He used his good hand to keep pressure on the gash until J.R. arrived with the truck.

“I lost 3 pints right there on the ground… another three minutes and I would have been dead.”

J.R. heard the shots but didn’t suspect trouble until he rounded the bend.

“J.R. knew something was wrong then,” Dr. Jackson said, noting the whole attack was over and done within minutes. “He said he’d never seen a hunter and hog on the ground at the same time.”

J.R. rushed Dr. Jackson to the emergency room in Jefferson County where they learned the hog’s tusk had severed the artery in his wrist and sliced through three tendons. Unbeknownst to the doctor, the boar’s tusk had also pushed through his boot and severed his calf muscle.

“It looked like a cherry bomb went off in there,” he said, glancing at his thickly bandaged leg.

It took orthopedic and vascular surgeons at University Hospital in Augusta nearly four hours to repair the damages.

Dr. Jackson hobbled to his gun safe and pulled out his Remington.

“It was a fight to the death,” he said, pointing to the bite marks and gouges along the barrel. “One of us wasn’t coming out of there alive.”

He returned to his recliner, sporting a deep tan and athletic shorts. He looked himself, despite the cuts and lumps and the perfect purple hoof mark imprinted in his thigh.

He said J.R. returned for the hog and will soon deliver packages of bacon, sausage and cubed steak. There will be a skull mount arriving soon, too, complete with the razor teeth and 4-inch tusks that came so close to taking his life.

Dr. Jackson pointed to the wall where it will likely hang and recalled the flash of black-and-white stripe across the boar’s shoulder.

“I will always remember that pink eye staring right at me,” he said.

The incident won’t discourage Dr. Jackson from returning to the woods. Just as soon as his body will let him, he’ll be back at it looking for some more bacon and sausage.
Editor’s Note: Elizabeth Billips is the associate editor at The True Citizen in Waynesboro and interviewed Dr. Jackson at his Waynesboro home on July 7. View attachment 21680View attachment 21681

Any Thoughts besides we were crazy;)

The big one's can be dangerous...I had a similar exerience with a pig just over 200lbs. I shot him once and he took off into a pine field which I followed him. We couldnt find blood, but the field was pretty open and I just knew by the stumble I saw in my scope he would be laying dead in the field. We started up the field and got about 5 yards past him and about 10 yards away when he started grunting trying to get up and chomping his teeth (We didnt even notice him as he was light brown and layed up under a big fallen pine branch perfectly hidden.) Thankfully he was to hurt to get up, but im certain had he been alittle less hurt he would have charged us. I never pig hunt or recover a pig alone. Had that guy been alone he would have probably died. Ive been in that thick stuff like your talking about with nothing but my bow and it give's you a real uncomfortable feeling especially walking to your treestand in the dark. The thing with pigs is you never know what size pig your going to come up on and really any pig over 150lbs or so usually has an attitude.

That boar looks to be WAAYYYY bigger than 192lbs.! The Dr. is lucky to be alive. Hogs are mean critters.

Yeah...no way I hunt with a small bore weapon for hogs. Any caliber beginning with a "2" doesn't cut it for me. For deer, OK. For hog...it needs to start with "3"...and preferably have something besides a "0" for the second number. Hogs can be big, nasty and aggressive...I'm not going to be short on knockdown power. Kinda like hunting a cape buffalo with a 30-06...sure, a perfect shot will drop him...but would you stake your life on making the perfect shot? Not me...

I was told a story by a vender in 1979, he took someone hog hunting that insisted the 22 would be fine "Dad always killed his with a 22 when he butchered". The vender said he heard 15 fast shots....then 6 slow shots from a 22 magnum pistol, lots of grunts and then a screamed "help me!!" He crossed over a gully, shot the hog with his 12 gauge and helped his friend out of the tree he was up. 21 22 caliber hits were dead on the hogs forehead. None penetrated and did any damage.

What about 300win mag or wsm??

Nothing wrong with the "30X" calibers for hog hunting...and definitely nothing wrong with the 300 mags. I just prefer to have something that punches a little bigger hole. I went on a hog hunt yesterday with my trusty old 35 Remington...I know that gun will lay a lick on the animal. Another guy in my group was carrying a 45-70...between the two of us...the beast was going down.

So obviously...I second the earlier statement of not hunting hog alone, and especially not stalking them alone. There were 3 of us in woods yesterday...watching each others backs. Unfortunately...nothing threatened us ;) :lol:

Last edited:
lungbuster and Junior-35, Thats all good advice. I did not feel good at all about being in the brush by myself with a 10/22 with those things around. I guess Im lucky that they kept there distance from me.

Last edited:
after reading this thread it is starting to make me a believer of carrying a gun when I go out stomping through the local WMA. I was told a knife should make it fine but after this, I am a believer. Wow... just wow.

Monteria Boar Hunting
Offering medieval-style hunting with a dog and knife. Includes details, photos, forum and booking form. Located in Nelson.

In the past I remembered a guide service that let you hunt with just a knife, saw this on Google. Lets you totally go Rambo.

Back
Top Bottom