• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hog Hunting with a 10/22

Don't know where you learned your Hawg lessons from (Animal Planet, maybe), but they're some of the Smartest creatures on this Planet. Besides hunting them, we used to farm hogs and I'm talking 100-500. Their far from the ignorant animal you think they are. We even had one that was more of a pet, that would jump into the back of the Truck and go to Town with us. And I'd certainly like to see just how fast you move when there's a 200lb+ pissed off Pork Chop coming after your a$$. Let alone think your just going to reach down and grab a leg and flip it on it's side. I'd pay good money to watch that scenario.

I've never understood why people equate the ease with which an animal can be conditioned to perform a trick with intelligence. Pigs aren't just stupid in the general sense, they physically lack a nervous system sophisticated enough to possess the kind of intelligence some would attribute to them.

As for your entertainment, if you pay the costs I will provide. You have to bury the hog, though. I like to eat the smaller ones.

You can also use a 3.5" 12 gauge with as big as #2 shot, that's my choice for hogs as they never seem to stand still long enough for a clean shot.

The concept as I understand it is to shoot them behind the ear,killing them pretty much instantly. My cousin has killed several now with a 17 hmr. How is that inhumane?
as far as dangerous,,, well I have to agree with you. but irresponsible, thats just an opinion with no validation. So I reject your criticisim.
I have trouble thinking of a more irresponsible act that hog hunting with a .22. It's inhumane and dangerous.

I've never understood why people equate the ease with which an animal can be conditioned to perform a trick with intelligence.

Or Some People too! I've seen alot of people that I would question their intelligence, see some of them Here and on the News everyday.
The animal in question was Not Conditioned or Trained in any way. Ask any of the the Liquor Stores in Hawkinsville, Ga that have been there for any lenght of time and they can tell you about the pig that used to come to town!

From the '99 Edition of Emory Magazine

“People really don’t know that hogs are second only to higher primates in terms of intellience and were the first animals taught to do circus tricks,” says Hedgepeth. “They’re very protective, . . . and their sense of smell is keener than dogs’. If people came to see pigs in terms of their potential, they’d never return to seeing them as fat, stupid, and ugly-all the demeaning prejudices that allow us to eat them.”

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom