• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hog Hunting

HxX20

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
100   0
Reaction score
I live in Buford, Ga and would love to go hog hunting. Would be with a suppressed rifle. Anyone have any recommendations on a place to go that’s not a $300+ a day guided hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In and I’d join!!! These have been calling me in my sleep!!

Attachments

• 1F60E9AB-C9BA-46C8-B315-E9F96F1861EF.jpeg
    1F60E9AB-C9BA-46C8-B315-E9F96F1861EF.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 09231D5A-EDEC-4919-8081-BE40041B6423.jpeg
    09231D5A-EDEC-4919-8081-BE40041B6423.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 55
I'm looking for a place as well. I have a group of friends - former "students" of mine - none of which are under 50 years old, and we all have thermals, 4/6 have suppressors, 2-way comms and we have hand held thermals as well, RV's and campers, and we are looking for anyone who needs hog help for more than three days at a time. In other words we making it a camping adventure.

I'm looking for a place as well. I have a group of friends - former "students" of mine - none of which are under 50 years old, and we all have thermals, 4/6 have suppressors, 2-way comms and we have hand held thermals as well, RV's and campers, and we are looking for anyone who needs hog help for more than three days at a time. In other words we making it a camping adventure.
This is what I want. I also have a fifth wheel and generator. Hope y’all have a processor or backhoe local!

Depending on the location and availability of wood, we dig a hole in the ground, build a large bonfire in it while we skin out the better hog, take two ten foot steel pipes to make a gurney, use chicken wire and aluminum foil and after seasoning we wrap him up in aluminum foil run the poles through the gurney and lower him down in the pit. Throw a canvas tarp, welders blanket or hemp tarp over him and bury the whole thing in 8-12 inches of dirt. Leave it alone for 12 hours and dig it out, unfold it all and pluck out the bones, get out the BBQ and make a sammitch....

We probably can't do any of that on WMA land. I've even heard that we cant use suppressors, camp over night or have a fire of any kind on WMA land. Which is why we typically look for someone with a hog problem. If it gets bad enough farmers should consider our free service.

We probably can't do any of that on WMA land. I've even heard that we cant use suppressors, camp over night or have a fire of any kind on WMA land. Which is why we typically look for someone with a hog problem. If it gets bad enough farmers should consider our free service.
You've been misinformed. You can do most of those things on WMA land. Suppressors were legalized on WMA’s in Ga in 2017, as long as it isn’t mentioned as prohibited under that particular WMA. You have to look in the “Area Notes” for the particular WMA that you intend to hunt to know whats allowed or not.
All Ga WMA’s have their info posted in the GA Hunting Regulations.
Any prohibited activities will be mentioned there. If it isn't mentioned you are good to go. If you are unsure, contact the GA DNR and inquire to get clarification.
For instance, the WMA regs for the area pictured below has a Coyote season May 16-31, big game weapons and suppressors are allowed because any centerfire rifle is a legal weapon for coyote and suppressors aren't listed as prohibited. Pigs can be killed incidentally during that particular hunt.
Camping is legal too because it is not listed as a prohibited activity. You may not be able to dig a pit and cook a whole hog though…..I’d call DNR and discuss that before doing it.
Reading the Regs and having the correct interpretation of what’s allowed is sometimes tricky and some things seem as clear as mud when you read them. You'll be surprised at how much opportunity is actually available to you.

4F5358B5-3EC4-4F5B-8A99-5A4944E429F8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom