• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hog Hunting

Best bet this time of year is private property and not WMAs. Deer hunters are out of the woods so some club might let a couple of people hunt hogs.

No hogs on mine sense October or I would offer up a few days for hog hunts.

Best bet this time of year is private property and not WMAs. Deer hunters are out of the woods so some club might let a couple of people hunt hogs.

No hogs on mine sense October or I would offer up a few days for hog hunts.
Well whenever you start seeing some let me know!

Having previously hunted on WMA land several years ago, Ricky Ranger showed up, asked for licenses and told us we couldn't hunt at night. There was no prohibition listed for hunting at night. He also told us we couldn't stay overnight, there was no mention of camping or no camping on the DNR website. Being an NRA instructor, I always tell my students that speaking to law enforcement is perilous at best. Anything you say or do can and will be used against you in a court of law. Idle chit-chat included. LEO's can legally lie to the public, lie to us individually and then garner "statements" that they then transcribe onto paper in their reports - which are then admissible as "evidence" in any legal proceeding. So based on this known fact, any Ricky Ranger that is ballsy enough to show up and give a bunch of old men a hard time, must be a genuine a$$hole. So my advice, especially since ALL of us have NFA items, is to not argue, make no statements, don't chitty-chat, don't push back there on the spot, get his complete information, pack up and leave. Then follow through with filing a complaint with the DNR and providing the DNR with the sworn affidavits from the men present. I originally got this advice from my (now deceased) brother who was a NC Marine Patrolman (non-military). Over the years it has served me well, and now with the advent of cell-phone coverage in the woods it might be possible to look things up and formulate an argument, but the LEO is always going to have the upper hand in front of a judge. So hunting on public property is problematic, because Ricky Ranger might have a burr under his saddle, think he knows something we don't know, and seek someone to bully to justify his paycheck. It all starts out with the initial greeting.
The best legal time to hunt at night is bob cat season. Gets you legality for both centerfire and night time.

Back
Top Bottom