• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hog Trap Max. Dimensions

darrenmd

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
After responding to the other thread about tips on hog traps this question came to mind. What is the max dimensions you can have for a hog trap. I have only worked with 4x4x8 box traps and a few maybe 8x8 type of pen traps. Not that I am going to build any crazy huge pen trap....I am just curious...any thoughts would be appreciated......

Ive seen some pretty big ones. Depending on what type of trap your making you could make a 20ftx20ft or similar with a root door trap so when hogs go in more hogs can root under the door and come in also. I like the traps that allow more hogs to enter when the door is already closed. I herd something about a one acre trap that someone caught 80 hogs in I cant remember where it was or who was running it but thats a serious trap.

Last edited:
Guys call me stupid and this may be one of those questions but If the hogs can root in can't they root right back out? I am trying to figure out how I am going to do mine this weekend and I am thinking about doing what you said and just use the poles and the chicken fencing but was wondering if they were going to be able to get right back out. Sorry, not trying to change what the post is about.

Well I had a crazy thought..... if you can bait hogs in a trap and then shot them in the trap then it would make sense to make a big trap that attracts lots of hogs. So you could make that 20x20 and put a feeder in there. Then you technically are not hunting over bait...... and put in one of those doors so they keep coming in..... I would say you just have to check the trap everyday or so......

You have to becareful shooting hogs inside of a trap alot of times if a hog smells blood they wont go in the trap. You could deffiantly put a feeder in there. I would put the trap somewhere that I could drive by and see it so you dont have to walk all the way in and getting your scent everywhere.

Start by putting your feeder up in the spot with a trail camera. Once you see them hitting it good on camera go in and build your trap around it. Leave your camera up so if your not catching hogs you'll know if they are still coming to the spot.

Last edited:
I have heard the same about the blood in the trap, but my friend runs a trap a few days a month next to a feeder. As long as the feeder is running, they keep coming back. He has killed at least 15-20 in the trap where it is located now. Heck he caught 6 hogs in the trap at the same time. It was only a little 4x4x8(or 10). They just smashed their way in.... Two about 200lbs and the others 30-50 lbs.

My point was though.... where is the LIMIT on the size of a trap? From the comments made here, one can see you could get creative with this.......

You deffiantly can get creative with size. It really all depends on what your looking for in a trap. If your just looking to trap afew at a time the size trap your friend had would do well. If you looking to trap the whole group build you a one acre trap lol.

It just seem funny that they have a law/rule that doesn't let you hunt over bait....but you can make a huge trap (pen) and run a feeder, then kill them in this "trap", but the trap can be as big as a hunting area.......

Back
Top Bottom