• Next ODT Gun Show - Nov 16, 2024! - Click here for info

Hogs?

Russ-T

Default rank <500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Survivalist
82   0
Reaction score
A recent stat I read about Georgia said that every man woman and child would need to each kill a pig every year just to keep the population at the same level. Otherwise, they would just be out of control. I’ve been trying to go hunting for six months. But, at this point, I haven’t had any of my buddies with hunting property or club property, or lease property come through with a Hog Hunt. I realize we’re all busy. And, if you’re in the trades, the schedule can be hard to get your arms around this time of year. In any case, I would love to do some hog hunting, put some meat on the table and do my part to help control the population.

Let me know if anyone needs some help or has a good property that needs some pigs taken. I understand liability etc. Just putting it out there.

Thanks everyone. Love the ODT fam.

Russ

Funny you mention the rate they have to be killed to "maintain" the population. Gamekeepers just did a whole podcast on the topic. The $0.10 version is the only way to "maintain" them is to trap in quantity. A few hunters taking one or two a night doesn't touch them. The controversy of "for profit" paid hunts incentivizes folks to keep them around rather than kill them off.

Anyhow, good luck finding a place to go hunt them. Nothing is more destructive on 4 legs than a hog.

Any WMA's or public land around your area you can hunt so you are not relying on others schedules? Some of the locals in my area go out to Ft Stewart and hunt them. You have to register your gun with them to take it on base, from what I understand. Never done it myself, but believe that is the only down side to it. Just a possible option for ya.

Any WMA's or public land around your area you can hunt so you are not relying on others schedules? Some of the locals in my area go out to Ft Stewart and hunt them. You have to register your gun with them to take it on base, from what I understand. Never done it myself, but believe that is the only down side to it. Just a possible option for ya.
I’ve hunted Ft Stewart and yes, you have to register the firearms that you intend to use there. You also have to have your ammo and magazines separated from one another while driving on the roads inside the installation.
We just put an ammo can in the back of the trucks and put our mags/ammo in there. Guns were in the cab with us. This included sidearms as well, conceal carry permit or not. They run a tight ship down there and patrol regularly.

Funny you mention the rate they have to be killed to "maintain" the population. Gamekeepers just did a whole podcast on the topic. The $0.10 version is the only way to "maintain" them is to trap in quantity. A few hunters taking one or two a night doesn't touch them. The controversy of "for profit" paid hunts incentivizes folks to keep them around rather than kill them off.

Anyhow, good luck finding a place to go hunt them. Nothing is more destructive on 4 legs than a hog.

Great information. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom