• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Holster for backpacking?

Does a chest rig stay in place well or move around? What about with a backpack on over it? I usually carry OWB when camping/hiking/trout fishing as I'm not as worried about being concealed up in the mountains.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Mine stays in place well, with or without a pack on.

Thanks I'll look into it. I like the idea just never tried it. Would be handy while hunting too. My rifle slung rubs against the butt of my pistol at 3 o'clock

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Yep, I mostly use mine for hunting and it works great getting the holster off the hip and out of the way of the rifle stock.

I went with the hill people kit bag as well for my USP 45. It's perfect, fast, hidden. You have space for a few other items too. Just dont overload it with other crap. Its tempting to stuff it like a survival kit, but keep it to your pistol and a couple other items and it's perfect. It can be attached directly to your backpack straps or worn alone.

Looking at the Alien Gear holster that attached to the shoulder strap of a backpack, but it seems as it stands off fairly high. My pack has pockets on the waist belt that are just big enough for a Glock 43, but I would like to carry my 19. What are you using that is comfortable?

Smiley Smiley , If your pack has a waist belt why not throw a paddle holster on it and save yourself some $?

If your pack does not have a waist belt on it, I would suggest a sub-belt.

Reason being: If your out and about and you take your pack off, your weapon stays with a pack. However if you have a sub belt on, you’re able to take your pack off and maintain your firearm in case you should need it for whatever. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smiley Smiley , If your pack has a waist belt why not throw a paddle holster on it and save yourself some $?

If your pack does not have a waist belt on it, I would suggest a sub-belt.

Reason being: If your out and about and you take your pack off, your weapon stays with a pack. However if you have a sub belt on, you’re able to take your pack off and maintain your firearm in case you should need it for whatever. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This. Seriously look into a safariland with the mid-drop belt attachment. Keeps it out of the way of your pack, natural draw position, secure, keeps it on you when pack is not, and you aren't flagging all of your buddies constantly.

I’ve tried a thigh holster, it seemed to work okay. I don’t see myself using one for hiking though. IIRC the thigh rig I had a while back rubbed my leg a bit raw when were were working at deer camp.

There are a bunch of attachments and options for this Alien holster. I bought the paddle to go with it so I can switch to a OWB when the pack is off or I am not hiking. There are IWB plates, chest rigs, etc that you can switch the shell out on. I’ll play around with location, but I just put it on the strap where the manufacturer showed it in the packaging. You can orient the gun any way you want on the base.

I noticed a tear in my old pack after the last trip, so it’s on its way back to Osprey for repairs today. Picked up a smaller Gregory Zulu for the weekender coming up that comes in Friday. Like my other pack, it has pockets on the waist belt, so there is not much room for a holster.

Back
Top Bottom