• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Holster recommendation and/or advice

thelopeztribe

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
2   0
Reaction score
Putting my Christmas wish list together and wanted to get some feedback/advice on an IWB holster for my S&W Shield 9mm as well as thoughts on the list I have.

The holsters I have narrowed it down to are the following, but am open to other suggestions

1. Sticky Holster (have been borrowing a friend's and am amazed at the comfort)
2. Crossbreed super tuck
3. Stealthgear Ventcore (this one is pricey) or Revoultion mini IWB (more reasonable)
4. Telor Tactical (just saw this one at Adventure Outdoors)

Thanks,

Robert

I prefer a leather iwb holster for concealed carry of a gun that size. Bianchi is my usual go to, normally around 40 to 50 bucks. I print too bad, even with a good pocket holster. I've been wanting to try a crossbreed holster, but haven't got around to it yet.

I prefer a leather iwb holster for concealed carry of a gun that size. Bianchi is my usual go to, normally around 40 to 50 bucks. I print too bad, even with a good pocket holster. I've been wanting to try a crossbreed holster, but haven't got around to it yet.

the crossbreed is leather. What is the reason for the leather? Last longer and will conform better? I sweat alot in the hot weather so I am having to consider that as well.

You will sweat a little more with the leather in the summer. I'm a big guy, 6'0", 300lbs, and kydex holsters are ok, but just not comfortable like the leather. I feel like I sweat just as much with the kydex as I do leather. As far as longevity of the holsters, I have a bad habit of keeping a gun a few years and selling or trading it for something else, so I can't comment on holster longevity. I have heard great things about the crossbreed.

I like a comfortable minimalist holster. I've tried a lot of different types of IWB holsters and didn't like or regularly use any of them until I tried a Cook's. They are simple, but very high quality with close attention to detail and that does make a real difference. Try one, you won't regret it.

Stick with a quality kydex holster made specifically for the shield pistol such as gearcraft, blackpoint tactical, cooks, t rex arms, tier1concealed to name a few. I use to like remora and sticky style holsters until doing more training and practice with gear. You quickly realize that those holsters can shift around causing a failed draw stroke and cause a failed attempt at reholstering as well. I have gone through pretty much every style iwb holster from cheapest to most money.
Some thoughts to consider on hybrids...

I have had these issues personally trying different hybrids on the market. I have had stealthgear ventcore and revolution holsters, and like other hybrids, very difficult to reholster because they collapse once the pistol is drawn (aliengear 3.0 and 4.0 have fixed this particular issue common in hybrids) Also, will this be for strongside hip carry or aiwb or? Get a holster specifically made for particular carry position.

Some more to consider...

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/features-to-avoid-when-buying-an-iwb-holster

Back
Top Bottom