• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Home builder recommendation?

FreezeDryGuy

Eagle Icon Supporter
Frontiersman
11   0
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Thinking of building instead of buying a home in Forsyth County. Likely would want to pick out some land and then have someone build a house on it. Anyone have a builder they would recommend?

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

Thinking of building instead of buying a home in Forsyth County. Likely would want to pick out some land and then have someone build a house on it. Anyone have a builder they would recommend?

Thanks!
I am starting one in a few months! But May be able to work you in! Thanks

I was looking at the same issue. My wife wanted a bigger house. I wanted lots of land. If you do a little research, you’ll figure out that prices of everything is on the rise. As previously mentioned, labor, materials, permits and inspections are in short supply.

So the decision to buy and build is a drop your shorts and open the checkbook operation. Unless you are looking at manufactured housing (doublewide) You have at least 2 years between making the decision and being able to move in.

If you buy now. Interest rates are on the rise, but still low. If you build, you’ll need a construction loan to get you through the build process, after which you can get a conventional loan.

I got 2.75% at 30 years with 20% down. Unless you have really deep pockets, you will be 2+ years before you can get a conventional loan after you get through the construction/construction loan.

I you buy an existing house on the market, your expenses are not open-ended, and you can start moving in after closing

Look at lumber futures before deciding to build. I bought 5 pallets/bundles of PT 2x6x12s and 2x8x12s two months ago. Today's price is about 2.5 times the price paid then. We are not back to last Spring's high prices, but not far off from the peak. A typical $2.50 2x4 stud is up 2 to 3 times, SPF and/or kiln-dried yellow pine is also up 2 to 3 times what it was just 2 to 3 months ago. I have several projects going on right now and focusing on only finishing those that already have materials delivered/on-hand. One builder just starting 2 spec houses near me... I will be looking to pick those up as foreclosures later this year, if prices continue to rise at the current rate simultaneously with the cost of borrowing and interest rate hikes.

I am sure you have already researched this but there are construction to permanent single close loans out there that do not require two loans like a traditional load. The USDA rural development department is one source. There are some hoops to jump thru but if you are buying in a qualified area, that could be an option.

If I was planning to buy a house in this current market, I would probably buy the land and sit on it for a bit until the construction prices come down or crash. I have noticed the price of houses with land is thru the roof, but raw undeveloped land has not jumped as much.

Back
Top Bottom