• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Home Defense 9mm with can or 45 with can?

Mr. Goodbar

Default rank 5000+ posts
Savage Hooligan
109   0
Reaction score
Been thinking about a can for home defense. With kids and dogs, worse case senecio shooting in a house is extremely loud. Is their a big difference hearing wise between 9 or 45 can. I'm talking caliber specific suppressor here. Was dead set on a 45 with can but am starting to think maybe 9 with can is better. I can look at stats all day but want opinions from people who have shot with either. I'll talk to Jake about it too since I have a 5.56 can I'll have to pick up from him eventually

If I have to defend myself in my home it's probably not going to have the can on the end. I've got an octane 45 and a guardian 9 and truthfully I can shoot 9mm through either and there isn't a huge noticeable difference. If you are ably getting one pistol can I'd go to the 45 model for the ability to run more calibers if you have the need

If I have to defend myself in my home it's probably not going to have the can on the end. I've got an octane 45 and a guardian 9 and truthfully I can shoot 9mm through either and there isn't a huge noticeable difference. If you are ably getting one pistol can I'd go to the 45 model for the ability to run more calibers if you have the need
Understandable but I'm more of a caliber specific can and I don't own that many guns and this set up will be for home only anyways. But with that said, deciding on can first then handgun so nothing is set in stone

9mm (147 subs) is quieter in my Tirant45 than 45ACP (230 subs..they all are). However, if you shoot either "wet" there another big drop in sound and very noticeable with either round. Silicone wire pulling gel seems to be the preferred choice and it is about $8 for a huge bottle at Home Depot. You can test out the sound difference by putting just plain water in the can and watching it steam out as you shoot. That being said, having a 45 cal can will allow you more options with regards to hosts down the road.

I guess some people have lube by the bed but come on, I doubt anyone is going to leave wire pulling gel in the can in case some bad guy breaks in. For home defense if you are worried about a db or two you really are putting too much thought into it.

I tried the wire pulling wax and left it in my can for about 2 weeks from when i put it in to went shooting. The stuff is very thick and doesn't cause rust, so its just like oiling you can or gun.

I would think a 9mm with one of those smaller 9 cans would be awesome for HD.

image.jpeg

I would think either one on your preferred host. I don't shoot 45 anymore (sold my Glock 21 over a year ago) so I had no need for the extra bulk of a 45 can on my G17.

If you own pistols in both calibers, I would buy a 45 can and skip the 9. Make sure that your 45 suppressor of choice has pistons available for purchase to use on your 9.

Back
Top Bottom