• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Home Defense reliable 12 gauge short barrel

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownbmo

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
Reaction score
I thought I would see what's here before paying retail; I hate paying retail.

My Son is moving downtown ATL to his own apartment for college...I know I'm not happy about it either.

He is of legal age and has shot with me a lot. He asked if I had a shotgun he could take for home defense, I only have one 20 gauge 26" barrel Remington. I'd like to buy a decent 12 gauge in about any good working condition in a shorter barrel, but I'm more concerned with reliability.

Anyone have something you want to sell? I can meet you about anywhere. I have Georgia DL and carry permit if needed.

I thought I would see what's here before paying retail; I hate paying retail.

My Son is moving downtown ATL to his own apartment for college...I know I'm not happy about it either.

He is of legal age and has shot with me a lot. He asked if I had a shotgun he could take for home defense, I only have one 20 gauge 26" barrel Remington. I'd like to buy a decent 12 gauge in about any good working condition in a shorter barrel, but I'm more concerned with reliability.

Anyone have something you want to sell? I can meet you about anywhere. I have Georgia DL and carry permit if needed.

I have a Rem 870 synthetic I’m willing to let go of, 12 GA, 18.5" barrel, mag tube extension, light w/ pressure switch. I'll try to get you some pictures Fri afternoon if you're interested in it.

I have seen new pump action riot shotguns with 18.5" barrels sell for $199 at Academy Sports and some gun stores known for low prices.

Whatever he gets, have a plan for secure storage of it when he's not home.
People have been kidnapped or murdered with their own guns which the burglar found just before the resident arrived home.

#mossbergshockwaveforthewin

No, a much better choice is a shotgun with a conventional butt stock, but with a shorter length of pull (I like 13") and a metal or hard plastic butt plate that won't snag your shirt as you toss it to your shoulder.

I'd also put a tactical flashlight on it, clamped to the barrel justvahead of the magazine tube end cap.

No, a much better choice is a shotgun with a conventional butt stock, but with a shorter length of pull (I like 13") and a metal or hard plastic butt plate that won't snag your shirt as you toss it to your shoulder.

I'd also put a tactical flashlight on it, clamped to the barrel justvahead of the magazine tube end cap.

#thatsjustyouropinion

Reactions: (M)
Thats the opinion of everybody who carries guns professionslly for serious social encounters, and their trainers.

I've owned and shot many short shotguns, including my pistol-grip-only 12 gauge that I cut down to a 12" barrel.

Handy to carry and point.
Difficult and slow to hit targets with.

Thats the opinion of everybody who carries guns professionslly for serious social encounters, and their trainers.

I've owned and shot many short shotguns, including my pistol-grip-only 12 gauge that I cut down to a 12" barrel.

Handy to carry and point.
Difficult and slow to hit targets with.

:thumb::rolleyes:

Edit: just reread original post... I'd suggest looking on sites like gunbroker.com, gun.deals, texasguntrader.com and armslist.com etc for good used deals. And try to find a local FFL that has cheap transfer fees. Academy sports had new mossberg 599A1 20" barrel 12 ga riot guns for $399 with a coupon just s couple days ago. Sorry my original response was a little off topic..

(Original reply)...Mossberg Maverick 88, 18 1/5" barrel with 5+1 capacity for about $189. Simple, balanced, reliable, affordable (variable magazine tube length is offered in most configurations of Remington and mossberg shotguns depending on your preference of shell capacity and weight/balance). U can also buy a 28" vent ribbed bird barrel for these guns and have a bird gun as well with a simple barrel swap (same concept applies with the Remingtons). Next step up in quality and durability would be a mossberg 500 or Remington 870 express mag for $300ish. Next step up would be what police/military use in the 870 police and the mossberg 590A1 for $400-$700ish.

I agree that a flash light (surefire G2X for $50 = affordable and reliable and plenty bright for HD) on the barrel would be a good addition for home defense.

Only other $.02 I would add would be to understand that kids moving off on their own near college campuses make lots of friends quickly and have lots friends, acquaintances and even strangers in their homes on a regular basis for various reasons. And not all colllege aged kids have the same level of maturity and common sense. Many of which likely have no firearms training at all. Not that you don't or shouldn't trust your children's safe firearms handling and responsibility, but a young adult who knows nothing about firearms and happens to look in your son's closet or under his bed to find a loaded shotgun that he/she doesn't know how to use and doesn't know is loaded could create a situation that has potential to accidentally/negligently end badly .... just food for thought. Might be smart to have "that" reminder conversation with him before sending him away with a quality, reliable, lethal HD tool like a 12 ga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom